General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if S/R Team 1 knew someone had been down there after they staged a bottle and before they actually searched.
On another note, relating to questions on whether or not missing diver was carrying a primary light.
If you look at video #3 in the Youtube Missing Diver series, and then pause at frame :17/0:21, you can see the white helmeted diver with 2 head lamps mounted on the helmet. You can also see what looks like a primary clipped off on divers left side. The light appears to be turned on and randomly shining down.
Frame :18/21 possibly shows a backup light (blue color) clipped to belt.

I wonder if S/R Team 1 knew someone had been down there after they staged a bottle and before they actually searched.
On another note, relating to questions on whether or not missing diver was carrying a primary light.
If you look at video #3 in the Youtube Missing Diver series, and then pause at frame :17/0:21, you can see the white helmeted diver with 2 head lamps mounted on the helmet. You can also see what looks like a primary clipped off on divers left side. The light appears to be turned on and randomly shining down.
Frame :18/21 possibly shows a backup light (blue color) clipped to belt.

I believe what you are seeing as a possible clipped off primary is most likely the videographers light reflecting off the white helmeted divers left tank SPG. It's too dark to tell either way, I didn't notice anything that looked like a can light on him in any part of the video.

I was under the impression that the springs and cave had been closed to everyone but the rescuers initially (I may be mistaken). There is absolutely nothing I see in the first video (#1) to show that the video was actually shot the day claimed. I think it's incredibly tacky of the poster (on Youtube) to try to gain hits for his video by re-editing his video and renaming it as missing diver video.

Jack Hammer is right. Very poor taste to try and boost hits. The cave was off limits to everyone but search team members that day. On another note, the absence of a primary is really null, doesn't matter one way or another. Everyone has their own conclusions as to if he is there or not. Nobody will get further than Edd did because its impassible for gear when he stopped. As I was involved in a 2 hour search with Edd on Wednesday I won't say much. What I will say is the search needs to cover other options, if people keep going in the areas sooner or later Edd will be pulling out someone that is in there.

either he's in there and dug in somewhere so tight nobody can reach him, or he's not in there.

time to call off the search, before someone else gets hurt.

if he's in there and at all remotely reachable, he'll probably turn up sooner or later.

Jack Hammer is right. Very poor taste to try and boost hits. The cave was off limits to everyone but search team members that day. On another note, the absence of a primary is really null, doesn't matter one way or another. Everyone has their own conclusions as to if he is there or not. Nobody will get further than Edd did because its impassible for gear when he stopped. As I was involved in a 2 hour search with Edd on Wednesday I won't say much. What I will say is the search needs to cover other options, if people keep going in the areas sooner or later Edd will be pulling out someone that is in there.

Thanks Kevin. For your efforts and your comments. Didn't think about the "hits" on the video. Thats obnoxious.
Since the video link was posted earlier today, I checked it out. Since there had been discussion about primary or no primary lights....well, thought it might just be a conversation point. The thread had quieted down with no new info and a news article that said there would be some sort of action after labor day. Sounds like there is some frustration among those on site for good reason.
Hopefully, eventually we on the outside, will hear some details. Until then, you and others, please stay healthy.

Not sure if this was already posteed, but I was looking at caving videos on youtube and came across this one. Apparently, it's from the same guy who took the video of the victim.

YouTube - # 1 Lost Diver The PianoRoom

I don't think this is the same user that had the first video. his name had "scott" in it I think.

also, he joined "that day" he posted the video.

This guy has had this user id since 2009 and 2007 (on 2 different accounts).

Of course he could have yet a third account he created to post that video a week ago or so. :popcorn:

Looks like he might work at Dive Locker. I don't know him, but I think I've seen him at Morrison before free diving down in the 'funnel'.

I was not aware they added all those lights. In the past there was only one strand with many sections not even working. Christ sake, now it looks like a tiki bar down there.

I don't think this is the same user that had the first video. his name had "scott" in it I think.

also, he joined "that day" he posted the video.

This guy has had this user id since 2009 and 2007 (on 2 different accounts).

Of course he could have yet a third account he created to post that video a week ago or so. :popcorn:

Looks like he might work at Dive Locker. I don't know him, but I think I've seen him at Morrison before free diving down in the 'funnel'.

He guys. I just wanted to clear things up again. The free diver you speak of does not work at the Dive Locker. He is a just a loyal customer.

Not sure if this was already posteed, but I was looking at caving videos on youtube and came across this one. Apparently, it's from the same guy who took the video of the victim.

YouTube - # 1 Lost Diver The PianoRoom

What is with the glow tubes in the piano room? Are decorations like that normal in FL caves?

I don't think this is the same user that had the first video. his name had "scott" in it I think....

Yes, another YouTube user posted the other video. I was trying to say that it appears that whoever filmed the other video, filmed this one too (or was with the people that filmed it.) Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom