General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for taking the time to post, and rest assured that many members may not be posting but are reading your posts and drinking them in, so to speak. Not to venture into overhead environments without gear or training, but to be inspired to get (even some) of those skills and experiences. Thanks.

There have been some awesome videos on here (I loved the crystal cave among others) and I think any diver with an ounce of skill and experience can differentiate the 'what to do' from the 'what not to do'. If they can't, then surely the oft repeated ufcdiver quote "If you don't realize that 170ft deep on air through a no mount restriction with clay isn't smart, a course just can't help you" applies.

I second that. I doubt that I will ever go in a cave, but I have learned a lot here and have great respect and awe for trained cave divers.

So here is a question for the masses...

This incident has opened the eyes of a lot of readers to the dangers and unforgiving nature of cave diving without proper training. Many of you are seeing for the first time some example of how badly things can quickly go wrong.

If this turns out to be a hoax, misunderstanding, whatever and it turns out for a fact that he is not in the cave after all, will that soften your perception?

Not a bit...I will still take away an amazing amount of information and understanding of what NOT to do and WHY! Thank you!

I really don't think so - there really were no standards, and that was the principle problem

I dont have my copy of 'Caverns' here so I can't look it up but there was some stuff that was just plain dumb by any standard or even no standard. Like really stupid. Dead drops on platforms for deep dive records with HPNS where 2 people died for example. You don't need a standard to know that's not smart

So here is a question for the masses...

This incident has opened the eyes of a lot of readers to the dangers and unforgiving nature of cave diving without proper training. Many of you are seeing for the first time some example of how badly things can quickly go wrong.

If this turns out to be a hoax, misunderstanding, whatever and it turns out for a fact that he is not in the cave after all, will that soften your perception?

Not in the slightest. This has been an extremely educational thread not only in the dangers (particularly to the untrained), but in the consequences of stupidity.

this thread was cool back when it was about the vortex incident. can we make that happen again?

Not if that's all you have to contribute

It wasn't a transpac, but it wasn't inner tube and wire either. While a little bulky, it was more streamlined than at least one commercial rig.

Where is your information coming from, or how do you know so much if you don't mind my asking, did you know ben or...?

We're already on the 4th(?) break off of this thread. If you want it to be about something that it's not, try making whatever it is that you consider to be an on-topic post

It's still an interesting point... Anyone who has read Sheck Exley's Caverns Measureless To Man, would know that he was very lucky not to have died several times during his early diving career; if he had died earlier than he did, he would most likely have been written off on SB as a reckless idiot rather than a cave diving legend

/shrug

There wasn't available and refined cave diving courses available, or gear considerations back then. He was a cave diving legend, in no small part, for pioneering the courseload and gear that we use today, by trial and error.

We have courses and gear readily available to us now. Its simply retarted not to take advantage of them rather than recreate the wheel.

There's a huge difference and your post is completely innaccurate :mooner::mooner:

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom