German struck by Dhoni prop - Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver hit by dhoni prop - Divernet
A German scuba diver is reported to have been seriously injured after being struck in the leg by the propeller of a dhoni near Paradise Island Resort at Lankanfinolhu in the Maldives.

The incident occurred at around 10.45 on Saturday (8 June) at a manta-ray dive-site a few miles north of the capital Male.

The diver was understood to have been brought to the site by Emboodhoo Finolhu dive-centre, based at the Taj Exotica Resort & Spa further south, and the vessel responsible for the incident is thought to belong to another resort.

The diver was taken to hospital in Hulhumale near Male for treatment, according to police.

The article also says: “The diver was understood to have been brought to the site by Emboodhoo Finolhu dive-centre, based at the Taj Exotica Resort & Spa further south, and the vessel responsible for the incident is thought to belong to another resort.”

It sounds like a busy site with boats passing too close to divers.

The article also says: “The diver was understood to have been brought to the site by Emboodhoo Finolhu dive-centre, based at the Taj Exotica Resort & Spa further south, and the vessel responsible for the incident is thought to belong to another resort.”

It sounds like a busy site with boats passing too close to divers.

Pretty much sounds like you described.

A couple of days ago in Sinai a Zodiac just ran over my SMB while we were at the safety stop just 30 seconds before we were meant to finish and head up to the surface.
He did not even slow down and there is no chance he hadn't seen it, it has been there for a good 5 minutes and the sea was calm.

Needless to say my SMB was shredded by the propeller

A couple of days ago in Sinai a Zodiac just ran over my SMB while we were at the safety stop just 30 seconds before we were meant to finish and head up to the surface.
He did not even slow down and there is no chance he hadn't seen it, it has been there for a good 5 minutes and the sea was calm.

:no:

This happened when I was in Rangiora. The guide sent up the DSMB and we were sitting at the safety stop when a zodiac buzzed by it. The guide was pretty angry.

This happened when I was in Rangiora. The guide sent up the DSMB and we were sitting at the safety stop when a zodiac buzzed by it. The guide was pretty angry.

Was that a diving zodiac that buzzed?

Places like the Maldives etc can be pretty crowded on some sites, with multiple tenders around.

5 years ago, my wife and I (then just AoW) finished a dive, then as briefed, shot our bag ascended to the stop. When we surfaced post stop we were surprised to find another 4 divers around us, who thought we were their DM, and 3 Dhoni's converging on us looking to pick up their divers.

On our regular visits there, we often see dsmbs handed out, with divers staring at them as though it some advanced alien technology before shoving them in their BCD's to be forgotten about until the end of their trip.

While details of the incident are still sketchy..

Basic principles still apply. Learn to use a dsmb and have a decent size one appropriate for the dive.

Don't rely on others or a DM.

Get it up early (before the end of the stop).

At the end of the stop always look and especially listen on the slow ascent to the surface.

Even so we always carry extra weight so that even at the end of a stop with min gas, we can still descend if you suddenly hear a boat.

Never assume a boat has seen your dsmb nor you at the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom