Getting divers attention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
Noise pollution. I hate 'em all. Reach over and touch your buddy on the arm.

That doesn't work very well when I am low on the wall in 30m or so shooting a silhouette shot of my buddy further up the wall in 15m and need to get their attention to turn their torch on or off, look a different way, or move position.

I agree about noise pollution when it is all going off, but I can tolerate very occasional uses when it is absolutely required.

Mark

If you can't get your buddies attention, how do you call the dive? Is a solo ascent a better solution than shaking a rattle stick? Doesn't calling the dive just create more problems/perils than re-establishing audible communications?

Pull on their foot or something and then give the thumbs up. Don't call the dive without them. If your buddy is so far away as to be out of the range of touch or light communication then you need to seriously rethink your dive protocol. In openwater, you should be able to swim up to them and grab them if they aren't paying attention to you. In an overhead, if they are ignoring your light signals, grab them just the same and give a big thumbs up. Just seems to me like tank bangers miss the point.

If your buddy even needs to be grabbed to be aware of you then maybe you shouldn't be in the water with them. If the buddy is not responding to light signals they have no business being in an overhead. Calling the dive can NEVER be refuted and is everyones right at any time for any reason. Calling a dive generally does not create more problems for divers. Not calling the dive when something is wrong or when the instinct hits can be a serious problem.

DivingsInMyBlood:
should develop electronic shock collars like the ones they use on dogs to get them to respond if their sluggish in response.

yeah,
instead of hoseless integrated computers where you can monitor your buddy's remaining psi, how about one that zaps them to get their attention :light:

Hank49:
I hum a deep G note....well pretty close to a G. My kids know that's my signal and respond immediately.
I use a "whooooo whooooo whooooo". It works well over normal buddy distances. I did have a couple of instabuddies that heard it, but didn't know what it was and didn't think to look at me. Nowdays I brief instabuddies that if hear an owl underwater, that they should look over at me.

jefffalcone:
A carabeener makes a good tank banger.
Ben_ca:
$1,000 flashlights work pretty good
Doesn't hitting the $1,000 flashlight against the tank tend to break that expensive bulb ?????

On a more serious note, if you have a light or sausage clipped off with a boltsnap, you can simply use the boltsnap to tap on the tank.

MarkUK:
That doesn't work very well when I am low on the wall in 30m or so shooting a silhouette shot of my buddy further up the wall in 15m and need to get their attention to turn their torch on or off, look a different way, or move position.

I agree about noise pollution when it is all going off, but I can tolerate very occasional uses when it is absolutely required.

Mark

You planning to be 45 feet away from your buddy is not an emergency. The only reason for making noise that disturbs other divers is an emergency. If you need to tell your buddy to turn on his light, work out hand signals before the dive. If he's modeling for you, he should be looking at you waiting for your next signal anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom