getting fills question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, if all the LDS would just bank some 36%, this mess would go away... The only reason why anyone needs their tanks to be O2 cleaned is for PP blending (using 100% O2) of either nitrox or trimix...

Secondly, the CGA, and ALL training agencies that teach NITROX have guidelines for how to label a cylinder. Technically, if a cylinder has an EAN label on it, then it should ONLY have EAN in the cylinder. Now, yes I know, 21% is either air or EAN. SO, if you want just standard compressed air, not hypercleaned air, you MUST take the label off. Same goes for if you want to get a nitrox fill in a NON-LABELED tank, Sorry, you should NOT be able to get it filled with Nitrox. What if someone borrows your tank, and the contents tag got lost and he doesnt know whats in it and goes and does a deep dive with EAN36? Now, he's dead from oygen toxicity and you feel like an ass. AND YES, I KNOW THAT THIS HAPPENED TO SOMEONE!!!!!! The marking and labeling of cylinder contents is NO joke...

Also, if you go by the medical standards by color coding the cylinder, GREEN is for O2, yellow is for AIR, and brown is for HELIUM.

We bank 40% and blend from there as well. With the computer program and the tumbler we can fill your tank withwhat ever you need and have it ready in a couple of hours depending on the amount of traffic.

Hallmac

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Technically, if a cylinder has an EAN label on it, then it should ONLY have EAN in the cylinder. Now, yes I know, 21% is either air or EAN. SO, if you want just standard compressed air, not hypercleaned air, you MUST take the label off.
I will go along with removing the O2 serviced label (better to mark through it with a pen though) but why do you think it is necessary to remove the EAN label/wrap?

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
but why do you think it is necessary to remove the EAN label/wrap?

... because a lot of the nitrox slingers don't bother to check for the o2 serviced label, but rather look at the nitrox label and assume it's cleaned?

Hey Spectre,

Do you know what SS Divers new set-up is? They told me not to worry about having O2 cleaned tanks, so maybe it's PP?

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
Do you know what SS Divers new set-up is? They told me not to worry about having O2 cleaned tanks, so maybe it's PP?

I'm assuming South Shore Divers? They are a little out of my LDS range. I know Northeast does banked partial pressure, and they helped Mass Diving set theirs up [same setup, same reasons to change $15+ a tank for a fill].

If they are saying no O2 clean tanks required, I'm going to _assume_ that they have the same setup as the other two, but you'd have to check with them.

Find a different shop that uses clean gasses.

I get "EAN 21" fills in my Nitrox tanks all the time, and have not lost an O2 compatability rating doing it yet. Of course I don't fill at places that can't give me oxygen-compatable gas. In fact, I just filled and burned (half) of one today cleaning the bottom of my boat (you think I'm gonna waste a $10 nitrox fill on THAT job?! Nope!)

As for the contents, if there's NO label, you cannot assume anything about the contents of a tank with a Nitrox sticker on it. Get out your analyzer and check it.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

...you are one of those DIR dudes who thinks air is only for tires and that only an idiot would use air for diving! :wink:

Actually I know folks who are nitrox certified but chose to dive air on occassion using their nitrox wrapped tanks.

Steven... a nitrox wrap doesn't mean the tank contains nitrox... it only means that the tank might contain other than air. The fill analysis label tells you what the contents of the tank are.

Why do you think that it is idiotic or dangerous to put air in a tank with a nitrox wrap?

Mom! Uncle Pug called me a DIR dude! Make him stop!!!

Sheesh, UP, first time anyone has ever called me a clonediver and I don't know whether to take it as a compliment or an insult. Besides, I think that you're a lot closer to sucking the Kool-Aid than I am...:wink: Just because my days of 200ft on air are done doesn't mean I've been assimilated. Does it?

Sorry if this is a kind of disjointed and rambling post, but I'm on the fly and don't have time to run it by the editorial board...

I dive nitrox pretty regularly, but, since most of my diving is in the southern basin of Lake Michigan (where depths rarely exceed 60ft, let alone 100ft), I don't use the geezer gas as often as some divers in other areas. Around here a nitrox fill costs around $15, another disincentive. I'll take a guess that I had 40 or 50 dives with nitrox last year, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the stuff, however. Some of my tanks are set up for nitrox and some are not - and I don't cross them, ever.

I agree that the tank analysis sticker/tape tells you what the oxygen content of the tank is - but that's all, unless you want to add trimix labeling to the discussion. I disagree about the meaning of the nitrox tank wrap, however. I'm also inclined to say that the nitrox tank wrap is unnecessary braggadoccio, but around here you have a hard time getting a tank filled without one. Nitrox markings (tank wrap and inspection sticker and MOD labels) should mean that the tank and valve have been prepped, cleaned and inspected for O2 service and that only CGA Type J air (modified to include higher oxygen levels) is used in the tank. The example given stipulated both a tank wrap and nitrox inspection stickers, the basis for my response.

Many, if not most, divers don't get our nitrox fills from banks of premix. In all of Chicago, I know of one place that banks premix, the rest (of those that fill nitrox, and many don't or send nitrox fills out) use partial pressure blending, starting with 100% O2. I don't know of any local pp blenders that start with 40% and I don't know of any local shops that continuous blend. I also don't know of any local shops that hyper-filter their air fills. (Help me out if I'm wrong, Chicago divers - I'd love to find someplace nearby that was cheaper/faster/better) These shops are, rightly or wrongly, pretty crabby when it comes to issues about O2 prepped and cleaned. Some of them won't accept a sticker from any shop but their own, which is aggravating as all heck. The reason they get so crabby is because there are a bunch of divers in this world that think all this standards nonsense is, well, nonsense.

Fill a tank with air hyper-filtered to GCA Type J standards and you've just filled it with EAN21, even if you didn't have to mix it. Fill a tank marked nitrox with CGA Type E air (in any O2 concentration) and you've just voided the O2 clean status. Voiding the O2 status means that the stickers come off before the fill. Since a fill station will presumably never fill a tank without a valid inspection sticker, a new inspection is in order. An inspection will cost you $15, unless you're going to suggest that a new sticker should be applied without an inspection? Returning the tank to nitrox service once the nitrox stickers have been removed will cost you $50 in my neighborhood for a tumble and a peek and is a pretty high price to pay to save a couple of bucks on the fill. Unless you want to cheat and tell the guy with the fill whip in his hand that your tank is still clean and let him take the risk of losing that hand and the shop that employs it. I'll stick by my earlier statement - at the worst this is a stupid tax. If a diver can't figure a way around this without jeapordizing the fill operator, he should spend the afternoon on the beach.

There's them that argues that all this standards stuff is paranoid foolishness. They might be correct. I'm not a physicist and couldn't tell you, but I will say that when the argument becomes a statistics battle that I have an automatic reaction involving a serious tightening in my gluteal region. Number crunching and tall tales and all that...so I'm inclined to take the most conservative approach in the interest of not hurting anybody and staying out of the newspapers and courts.

A couple of questions for you folks that see it otherwise:
  • How does a +40% fill impact your thinking? If you'd fill an EAN tank with normal air, would you then use that tank for a 50% or 100% mix without cleaning it?
  • If you don't need nitrox markings to get nitrox fills, why do you get nitrox markings?
  • Anybody know how to jam a fill station into a small high-rise apartment? I'd love to be doing my own...

Steven

1) I don't think that anyone has advocated getting a normal fill of air and subsequently filling the tank with EANx using partial pressure mixing, or any FO2 of greater than 40%.

2) As for Nitrox stickers, do you mean just the Nitrox band, or are you thinking of the O2 service/O2 clean sticker as well?

2a) The Nitrox band is there as a precaution for the USER of the gas that there may or may not be gas of other than FO2 of 21 and to test the gas. If it is your personal tank and you are comfortable with not having the Nitrox band, can get fills and never share your tank with others, then I would say that that is your perrogative. If someone should borrow your tank and die due to O2 toxicity, then your legal culpability would probably be very high.

2b) The O2 clean/O2 service sticker is for the FILL STATION to know that it is safe to input gas with a FO2 of greater than 40%. If you carry this sticker on your tank, then it is your obligation to fufill the requirements of the sticker and keep your tank O2 clean. If you don't have a O2 service sticker and you can get pre-mixed EANx under FO2 of 40, then I have no problem with that either.

If you are a DIR proponent, they prefer that the tank be clearly marked with MOD in 3 inch high letters, and on multiple sides with no Nitrox band. This is so that the MOD is easily readable underwater where you have to know which bottle you can use safely or it can kill you. The Nitrox band communicates no useful information when you are underwater and need PO2/MOD the most. All it does is indicate the possibility of gas with FO2 other than 21 and that you have to test it on the surface before using.

If you know that all your tanks are other than FO2 of 21, everyone you dive with knows that all tanks have other than FO2 of 21, and everyone checks all bottles prior use irregardless of how it's marked, then do you really need the Nitrox band?

Personally I prefer to have both the O2 service/O2 clean sticker and the Nitrox band on Nitrox tanks.

3) I believe that compressed air fill stations are legally Hazmat areas. Usually the buildings don't like apartment dwellers installing hazmat facilities. It is technically possible though, as a small fill station could fit into a large closet, but it isn't a reccomended situation, unless you like getting eviction notices.

Anyway....

Just because you cannot find a fill station that can do "air/EAN21" fills with "oxygen compatible" gas doesn't mean that everyone else can't. Perhaps in your specific circumstance getting your Nitrox/O2 clean sticker removed would be a justifiable "stupid tax", but for others it should just mean that you never re-visit that fill station.

Filling a Nitrox tank with air "Oxygen Clean" or not, along with an "O2 service/O2 clean sticker" is NOT "standards" issue. Not needing O2 clean certification for use with any gas with FO2 40 or less (including FO2 40 or less for all gasses used in partial pressure mixing) is a standard of not only NOAA, the US Navy and the US Coast Guard since the 1970's, it is also a standard of and many organizations all around the world. If you want a fill of EAN40 or less without the sticker, you are by "standards" in the clear.

Certainly if a fill station only can partial pressure fill EANx with a gas with greater than FO2 of 40, then they have to turn you away without the sticker. If you carry the O2 clean sticker on your tank, then you had better follow procedure to insure that the sticker is valid.

The Nitrox band is a regulation for many areas and only covers Nitrox tanks that are not used in commercial operations. Commercial Nitrox tanks do not need a Nitrox band. In this, the DIR tank marking preference I belive is in violation of regulatory recreational tank markings.

Since you can have EANx in a tank that is not "O2 clean", the removal of the band by a fill station for any reason without the owners permission is improper. Removal of the "O2 clean" sticker however is well in their rights if they feel that your actions or requested service invalidates the "O2 clean" certification. Personally I'd feel better if the standards indicated that instead of a Nitrox band, that every tank fill had to be to be checked by the fill station and have the PO2 and MOD clearly and accurately labled, even "Air" fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom