Getting instruction from a friend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnywolf

Reaction score
hi guys i was interested in finding out the legal issues about being introduced to diving by a friend who is experienced and qualified but not an instructor, if there is no money being exchanged for the experience is it against the law? i have heard of the old school divers who were taught this way, does it still happen or is only done through the diving schools???

against the law...no. You don't even have to be certified to dive, but it wouldn't stop a civilian lawsuit if you got injured though.

a friend who is experienced and qualified but not an instructor
How are you to judge?

He could be a true hack and you would have no way to judge. (and most divers would fall into that category)

So...its legal...but dumb as dumb can be.

Also, You would not be able to get air fills without getting a card from one of the recognized agencies unless you pump your own.
Your path seems too risky.

My husband started out learning that way. After a month and a half he decided that we needed to take classes. At the beginning he had the "know it all already" attitude, but he learned a lot and is a much safer diver. He is very glad that we took a course.
Now, as long as you are diving with him, you won't have a problem. But, you can't go on any dive ops without a cert card. My LDS won't even fill your tanks without your cert card.
If you wanted to see if you like it. dive shallow with your friend. Go slow and stay together. If you like it, take a OW cert class. It will only hurt your pocket to take it, as opposed to dying because you did something that your buddy forgot to tell you that you couldn't do.

Even with the safety/technological improvements over the last 40 years or so and even tho' Everybody learned it that way "Way Back Then", and even tho' there's only a handful of cardinal rules and Scads of literature for self-assisted learning its Far Far too Dangerous and Stupid to learn Scuba from somebody You think is proficient/knowledgeable... Much better to pay somebody Else for that responsibility... its only money right? ...I mean... how much is your life worth?

:popcorn:

(hastily dons asbestos undies)

Another suggestion for if you want to try it is most LDS have some sort of an intro to scuba for low/no fee where you get to swim around in usually a pool for an hour. T

As others have said there is no law, just you will probably not be able to get your tanks filled anywhere or dive at any commercial establishment.

The boats I go on do ask to see the card (usually after a few trips on the boat, they don't ask any more). I think it's ok to learn from a friend to see if you like diving, but I'd get some formal training and instruction and become certified. There is so much that you really need to learn to be safe for yourself and for any other divers you might be diving around. I read my books several times before I went in and got my OW and AOW. I still go back and read them from time to time. Even after a year of diving (around 94 dives now) I still feel like I'm learning and often still ask my instructors (we usually dive on the same boat) lots of questions. My OW instructor was very strict, at first I was like, "chill", but he was right and it was serious business, and now I'm very very happy he was so strict.

thanks guys for your advice, in fact it was not me i was asking about i hold PADI rescue diver, it was concerning a discussion i had with a few other divers and the way that the uk is become over beurocratic and the recent case laws regarding extreem sports. Other extreem sports have strong governing bodies that have hinted that if you dont have their certs you are not legal.
AS a professional instructor in many adventure sports i am torn between the world of structured training schemes ( my livlyhood depends on them) and the moralistic stance that encourages individuals to take risks in there lives with out beaurocracy. so i have no opinion myself but i was curoius of others opinions.

I have introduced many to scuba over the years and I am not an instructor. It ain't rocket science.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom