Getting into "dive" shape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mje113

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Although I'm old (48), I'm pretty fit, I do HIIT a few times a week and run when I don't.

Just this past weekend I did a pool session to get gear ready for an upcoming trip. I did some finning, but nothing remotely strenuous, but for the past couple days my calves and lower legs have been quite sore. Clearly I'm using muscles in ways I don't typically, so the question is: what kind of non-swimming exercises can I do in the month leading up to my trip to better condition myself for diving?

Even doing it off your bed or coffee table works.
This presumed that OP frog kicks as major mode of movement.

I've found that face the wall, toes up on the floor board to stretch out my achilles is helpful. I refuse to profess how seldom I do any of these helpful exercises.

Although I'm old (48), I'm pretty fit, I do HIIT a few times a week and run when I don't.

Just this past weekend I did a pool session to get gear ready for an upcoming trip. I did some finning, but nothing remotely strenuous, but for the past couple days my calves and lower legs have been quite sore. Clearly I'm using muscles in ways I don't typically, so the question is: what kind of non-swimming exercises can I do in the month leading up to my trip to better condition myself for diving?
Figure out how to get to a pool a couple of times a week. Nothing you can do on dry land is going to work your muscles the same way.

Figure out how to get to a pool a couple of times a week. Nothing you can do on dry land is going to work your muscles the same waY
I pretty much agree, getting in the pool a couple times a week with your scuba fins and kicking hard for a good while is what you need.

You can obviously do calf raises for calves and if the front and especially outside of the front of your lower leg is sore, that is weakness in the tibilas anterior muscle which is actually used pretty hard when swimming in a flutter kick. You can very effectively target this muscle with reverse calf raises, which is stand with heel only on a step and then raise and lower your toes, via movement of the ankle.

This video shows a very good exercise I try every time I do legs. It looks stupid and simple and feels weird, but it is EXACTLY what you need if the front of your ankle and shins get sore from kicking fins. Will make a huge improvement.

Back
Top Bottom