Getting LDS and other Sponsors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Base offers scholarships for the financially disadvantaged. Check out their website for application procedures.

PADI, in conjunction with BSA, offers "Dive to Adventure" scholarships for scouts. Search for "Dive to Adventure" for more info and the applications. The forms must be submitted to BSA by 31 Dec. I know several scouts/scouters that have received the scholarships, so they are available.

We did VERY well with our Christmas tree sale.
But then again.... we also did a Fall Carnival!

Many if not all LDS in my area offer discounts for scouts groups. They offer discounts on equipment and classes here. We start our OW class this January. We have already planned a few dives during the year and we will be diving during our high adventure too.

As for fundraiser ideas, we do a flag service where for $40 a year we put a flag on your lawn for every federal holiday. We set up the flags in the morning and pick them up at night. We had 60 flags last year and our goal is 100+ flags for 2008. We have only been doing it for 2 years and we get people requesting to be added for the next year when we go out and do "friends of scouting".

As for fundraiser ideas, we do a flag service where for $40 a year we put a flag on your lawn for every federal holiday. We set up the flags in the morning and pick them up at night. We had 60 flags last year and our goal is 100+ flags for 2008. We have only been doing it for 2 years and we get people requesting to be added for the next year when we go out and do "friends of scouting".

**HIJACK**

This is an interesting fundraiser. How do you do it? Do you put up a pole and stake it out or mount it to the house or what?

**HIJACK**

This is an interesting fundraiser. How do you do it? Do you put up a pole and stake it out or mount it to the house or what?

We hit a piece of rebar into their lawn on a slight angle and stick a piece of PVC on it with a regular flag attached.

It's easy to do and we get a lot of help from parents in getting the flags out and picked up.

I appreciate all of your comments. These are some great suggestions!

We hit a piece of rebar into their lawn on a slight angle and stick a piece of PVC on it with a regular flag attached.

It's easy to do and we get a lot of help from parents in getting the flags out and picked up.

If you do this fund raiser make sure you tell your troop/team/crew to set the flag at least 3 feet from the sidewalk and driveway, that way they will avoid hitting sprinklers. The only time I didn't help do flags this year the Venturing Advisor at the time hit my sprinkler main by pounding the rebar 3 inches from my sidewalk at 6am.

I wasn't too happy, but he came by later and fixed it. I found out later that he had hit 3 other sprinkler systems that day.

We never let him do flags again.

Hey Scouts....
FYI...... Sea Base may be able to help you with gear. Contact Capt. Steve Willis to see if a "deal" could be cut to help. He has gear that is turned over every year. Some may look "used" but it has many good dives left in it. I don't know what could be done to help, but it never hurts to ask. Contact can be made thru Sea Base. I now that good equipment is picked up by folks every year from the gear turn over & this may be a way to get your troops geared out. there is nothing out there that makes a good diver a GREAT diver than his own gear. Hope this helps!
Grady Hardin MSDT 9158

As Hardin said, Seabase sells off their used gear--you can find the info on their website. You may also want to contact several dive shops and inquire about their used dive gear. Most shops will sell off their rental gear at a regular interval (yearly or such). It might be a way to get the gear inexpensively.

You may also want to invest in getting someone trained to do repairs on the gear if you are going to have is as Venture Crew gear. Or make an arrangement with the dive shop you buy the gear from. Upkeep can be expensive, so look into it before investing in the equipment.

Sea Base offers scholarships for the financially disadvantaged. Check out their website for application procedures.

PADI, in conjunction with BSA, offers "Dive to Adventure" scholarships for scouts. Search for "Dive to Adventure" for more info and the applications. The forms must be submitted to BSA by 31 Dec. I know several scouts/scouters that have received the scholarships, so they are available.

Just wanted to let you know that our Crew was awarded the Level 3 Dive to Adventure scholarship (16 open water crew packs). Thank you so much for tipping me off to the availability of the program. Also, I was personally awarded the Level 5 Instructor Scholarship which gives me all of the materials for the IDC as well as pays for my IE.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

YIS,

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom