Getting my rebreather to Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanimal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
Has anyone shipped gear to Palau? any experiences you can pass on? I would prefer to use US Mail but am getting mixed information. Any ideas on what customs is like there?

I've also heard that getting your gear out is a hassle.

Looking for first hand experiences.

Thanks,
Ian

ian
haven´t shipped gear to palau but im in process of evaluating possibilities for indonesia. with all airlines there is something like unattended passenger luggage. talk to your airline. if it works, make sure you declare "personel goods" on the awb (air way bill) this might help getting your goods through customs without hassle.

or do it the snobbish way. fly business or first. you get more allowance and most of the time they will not reject some bulky items in the cabin.

air mike used to serve an excellent spanish white wine in business ;-))

scubanimal:
Hi all,
Has anyone shipped gear to Palau? any experiences you can pass on? I would prefer to use US Mail but am getting mixed information. Any ideas on what customs is like there?

I've also heard that getting your gear out is a hassle.

Looking for first hand experiences.

Thanks,
Ian

Ian, why do you need to ship your unit to Palau? Can't you bring it on the plane in your checked luggage in a proper case or at least put the head and loop in carry-on? -Andy

Hey guys I have shipped the sport kiss to Palua. It's very easy. However, be prepared to bring everything that you'll need to dive it. You'll need a booster (mini works great) you'll need to bring scrubber as there is none available. As far as the shipping goes it cost me about 150 bucks each way. there are two ways to ship. you can ship with a freight company or you can simply ship through US postal service. The freight companies will take at least 6 weeks because is ship by boat. UPSP will ship in about 10 days. I did both - shipped CTSI (that's the name of the freight company) to get it there and shipped USPS for the return ( the cost was about the same) do not use FEDEX- it wil cost about $900.00 each way...oh, by the way this is from Los Angeles. Make sure that if you use USPS that your package weights less than 70 lbs otherwise you'll have to ship two containers. I dove with NECO and they were great. They have O2 at the facility and very easy to work with. Customs is right by Neco and they were a breeze to work with as well. I went to Palau in Feb and had the time of my life. I loved using a rebreather there....and for that matter anywhere. Please email me if you have any questions....I can help.
Bill Strong
Hollywoodivers.com
323-969-9875
bill@hollywoodivers.com

I'm not sure how much it weighs but if you connect to Palau out of Manila, you get a 2 X 70LB baggage limit. You can fly Cathay get the 70 limit too.

Thanks guys for the info, Glad to hear USPS is ok, the folks at Neco & fish both say ship FedEx or DHL, at 800-900 bucks at bag, not a chance I'm doing that.

Andy, as to why ship, read about Evan Covac's issue (DeepSeaDetectives videographer) when he tried to bring on the vision head.

I think i should be ok with Neco as they offer O2 and rent tanks so I think they pump just fine.

for what it is worth.. I have traveled all over the world and have always put my unit in checked luggage.. you are not going to have customs issues.. you are not going to have issues with the tsa about carry on..

get some insurance through dan, and pack it.. if it gets stolen, youl just have to buy new gear :) at their cost..

get some sort of proof from the airline rep you talk to one the phone, it would be bad to go to the airport and have to leave your gear behind.......

Can I ask a really stupid question here?

Most airlines get concerned when you try to check in anything resembling a gas tank - even if its empty.

Do you rebreather divers have any trouble checking in/carrying on dilutant and oxygen tanks: and if so any problems?

I'm slowly learning up on RB's: I like their advantages but I travel a lot and am curious how difficult they are to bring along.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
Can I ask a really stupid question here?

Most airlines get concerned when you try to check in anything resembling a gas tank - even if its empty.

Do you rebreather divers have any trouble checking in/carrying on dilutant and oxygen tanks: and if so any problems?

I'm slowly learning up on RB's: I like their advantages but I travel a lot and am curious how difficult they are to bring along.

Cheers,
Rohan.

not as long as you follow TSA rules.. The tanks must have the valves removed and open for inspection.. (no caps/plugs ect)

Continental specifically allows multiple tanks (most airlines officially allow one tank but have never heard of anyone getting refused the second tank) and sodasorb for rebreather dives in their baggage policy..

here is continental's policy

Scuba Equipment

Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as part of the free baggage allowance. Scuba equipment in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.
An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a $100 service charge (each way).
An empty dive tank or up to 3 rebreather tanks will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a service charge of $100. The empty dive/rebreather tank must have the regulator valve completely disconnected form the tank. The tank must not be sealed (i.e. the tank has an open end). The tank must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection by a TSA Security Screener.
Note for Rebreather Equipment: Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide or less will be accepted in checked baggage. Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide will not be accepted in checked baggage.
An item of SCUBA equipment consists of one empty SCUBA tank, up to 3 rebreather tanks or one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport. The empty scuba/rebreather tank and a separate dive bag containing SCUBA equipment will be charged as two separate pieces.
Continental is not liable for damage to Scuba diving equipment.

Back
Top Bottom