Getting started again after 25 years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use bcd integrated weights (2 10 pounders). Weight belt is the pouch kind, where I put in 2 pound bullets. Then 1 or 2 pound wts. in the bcd shoulder pockets (on the back high on the bcd). I use suspenders to keep the belt from slipping--other methods just don't work for me. If I were buying new stuff I would consider the shoulder harness instead of the belt/suspenders.

I'm fairly new to diving but pretty much everyone I know who dives up here in victoria BC usually has a weight belt+weight integrated BC+Ankle(and even trim pockets in the BCD) weights mainly due to the amount of weight we need to use to get down because of drysuits or thick wetsuits. I like my instructor like having our weight spread out for a few reasons.
1) it helps with controlling weight spread if you only have a couple big weights on a single belt it may slide around a little bit and cause a noticeable change. If you spread the weights out your less likely to feel a difference.
2) Dumping situations. If you have to ditch weight you have a few options to get positively buoyant. I can drop either of my pouches or my belt dropping any of them will get me positive.
3) Redundancy. If all your weight is in one system and it becomes compromised for one reason or another and either falls off or you need to dump weight and can't your not from the first even going to take off like a missile to the surface you'll go up but more controlled or in case 2 you have 3 or 4 points of release.

Those are the reasons I spread my weight. Hope you ind them helpful and enjoy your trip.

Here's Scuba Mag. review on the Xp10 FYI.

NEW! XP10 Dive Computer
Take your gear choice personally. SUBGEAR offers a completely different dive gear experience. High quality engineering in the stylish, affordable package you’ve been waiting for. Sport Diver Magazine chose the SUBGEAR XP10 dive computer as a 2010 Editor’s Pick.
The XP10 was designed for divers who appreciate detailed, yet easily accessible information. XP10 is truly a complete dive computer for all levels of adventure, displaying all important dive and decompression data plus full dive data memory.
  • Nitrox settings between 21% and 50% in 1% increments
  • Full watch functions
  • Basic choice of adjustments without the need of a PC
  • Adjustable ppO2 between 1.0 and 1.6bar
  • Back light, visual and audible alarms
  • Timer for Safety Stops is user activated, it can be set between 1 and 5 minutes for optimal monitoring of your safety stop (default 3 minutes).
  • Data can be transmitted via infrared interface (IrDA) with Dive.Log software to a Windows® PC
  • User replaceable battery
  • Available in wrist or 3-gauge console
  • Features wake-up alarm, 12 or 24-hour mode, date and time zone shift for traveling divers.
  • 25 hours of profile storage

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like I am a lot like you Happy- certified way back in 74 with YMCA- its been so long they no longer even have thier underwater program, as I am sure everyone here knows. after a few years of diving around LI- a lot of wrecks, open water, etc. started a business, got married, had a kid. ran out of time. my wife never even knew me as a diver. she knew I dove, but not actively diving. I have gone the conservative route as well. A buddy who is an instructor has convinced me to get back into diving. I spent all summer getting my open water certification as if I were a newbie and just finished up my advanced. As I did not have a lot of my own eq - my tanks were punched, my old equipment was not in well cared for condition.
so I purchased split fins boots and a mask. other then that I had intended to only rent for a year or so. I did discover quickly the toughest part of equipment selection is a wetsuit. if your like me - short and stout- 5'9 and 48' chest and 44" waist- its almost impossible to buy a wetsuit off the the rack- if the waist and chest ratios work the majors assume you are 6'1 to 6'5 or if the height is right- you the chest and waist is 4 inches too small. I ended up buying a custom suit from a company called wetwear down in florida- if you have never looked at thier suits, they are really great folks. about the same price as the best off the rack- made from rubbertex instead of neoprene - I dove 90' in a quarry in October with a 3mm suit- no compression to spreak of - and for old guys like me- so easy to get in and out- arm zips to elbow, leg to the thigh and back zip diagonal from hip to opposite shoulder.
Im rambling now. I love diving again.

Sounds just like my story as well. Certified back in 1975 up in CT and never did much with it. 36 years later found myself in Florida and taking many trips to the Caribbean. The bug bit and got recertified. Was a bit of an eyeopener with how equipment has changed and what it now considered "standard".
In trying out rental gear, you can really see what you like and don't like. I got hooked on the intergrated BC weight system and prefer it to a belt. With my no longer youthful waist, a belt tends to slide around too much at depth.
For computers, suggest Mares Puck or Suunto Zoop.
Gulf waters are now in upper 50s - low 60s so a 7mm or equivelant might be your best bet. If you decide to dive any of the springs north of Tampa, they stay right around 70-72 so a 5mm or even a 3mm may work for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom