Getting Started with Cave Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear, your course to caves sounds just like what I did! I did Fundies, got a rec pass and then a year or so later a tech pass, transitioned to doubles and did a bunch of work in them, and took a wreck workshop that introduced me to line running. It took from the fall of 2005 through October of 2007 for preparation, and then I did Cavern/Intro. Six months later, I did GUE Cave 1. I was REALLY happy with that preparation strategy.

Oldbear, your course to caves sounds just like what I did! I did Fundies, got a rec pass and then a year or so later a tech pass, transitioned to doubles and did a bunch of work in them, and took a wreck workshop that introduced me to line running. It took from the fall of 2005 through October of 2007 for preparation, and then I did Cavern/Intro. Six months later, I did GUE Cave 1. I was REALLY happy with that preparation strategy.

Thanks...I had lunch with BoulderJohn in December. John confirmed my desire to train with Jim, but also gave me some VERY helpful tips to prepare myself prior to the training. I am hopeful that I will be ready next Jan/Feb to start. :)

Like who?
Rather than name names, which might open a debate on what constitutes 'reputable', I'd suggest that you don't have to look too hard to find recognizable names who will do cavern-intro-apprentice-cave in one sequence, hence the term "zero-to-hero". I wouldn't recommend it (and I didn't do it) -- experience is the best teacher -- but those who want it can find it. I did misspeak when I said "open water"; you'd need AOW (and probably Nitrox) as prerequisites.

I know instructors who would do zero to hero classes but they tell you right from the beginning there is no refund and you are not guaranteed to pass. They will also only teach this class if you are already a technical diver with 100's of dives in doubles, deep, wrecks, in a dry-suit etc. At that point if you can prove to them that you are already a great technical diver then all they have to do is teach you to cave dive and not how to dive in a cave, if you understand what I'm saying. With that being said you clearly do not fit within that category which is fine! I would recommend a cavern class that you can do in your recreational gear and see if you even think you'd like cave diving. Some people books all these classes and spend all kinds of money and later on decide that it's just not for them.

Rather than name names, which might open a debate on what constitutes 'reputable', I'd suggest that you don't have to look too hard to find recognizable names who will do cavern-intro-apprentice-cave in one sequence, hence the term "zero-to-hero". I wouldn't recommend it (and I didn't do it) -- experience is the best teacher -- but those who want it can find it.

Since when does recognizing someone's name define them as reputable? We're not talking about having any reputation, but about having a good reputation!

Rather than name names, which might open a debate on what constitutes 'reputable', I'd suggest that you don't have to look too hard to find recognizable names who will do cavern-intro-apprentice-cave in one sequence, hence the term "zero-to-hero". I wouldn't recommend it (and I didn't do it) -- experience is the best teacher -- but those who want it can find it. I did misspeak when I said "open water"; you'd need AOW (and probably Nitrox) as prerequisites.
That's fair enough.

For whatever it's worth I suggest to everyone that they do the following training, in 3 steps.

1. Take Fundies/Intro to Tech
  2. Cavern+ Intro (Then 35-50 dives)
  3. Apprentice + Full Cave

I'd like to try experiencing cave diving. I'll be coming to America for a week or two in July and while I'm there I'm considering taking some time to work on getting certified to cave dive.

I have been diving for about 18 months and in that time I've done 40 dives and will probably be closer to 50 by the time I come to the States this summer.

Unless there are caves back home in Japan, I would not try to begin cave certification on this trip. It's the sort of thing that usually is for much more experienced divers, and it takes regular practice to keep your skills at a level where you're not endangering yourself or anyone else. A week or two is nothing, honestly.

What I would do on this trip is arrange for a side trip to the yucatan in Mexico. It's very close to the U.S., you'd fly to cancun. Then I'd spend part of your week down there doing cavern dives, not even taking the class. Or maybe taking the class, but supplementing it with several guided cavern dives. You'll get the most for your money this way IMO.

Unless you can regularly practice cave diving near home or are prepared to travel frequently to cave country, for now I'd stick with the guided dives and just enjoy your vacation.

The reason I'm suggesting Mexico rather than FL is nothing more than I'm familiar with those cavern dives and they are spectacular. They are also very shallow, with little to no flow, and there is a great infrastructure for guided cavern dives. It's very reasonably priced to stay there. Plus, that part of Mexico is absolutely worth visiting on a vacation. I'm sure you could have a great experience in FL too, but from what I've heard the dives are typically more advanced. You're still a very new diver by overhead diving standards.

Good advice has been given and what I would like to add is to take it slow, purposeful, goal oriented training with dives in-between to build experience.
Diving in the overhead environment has greater gear requirements and skill sets.
I would recommend research, reading, video, training agencies manuals.
Try the cavern first and if you are into it then get your gear / skill sets in order.

I will warn you that if the bug bites it will be expensive and addictive beyond normal diving!

CamG

Come to sunny North Florida, Give Doug a call at Extreme Exposure in High Springs, take a GUE primer course with Doug Mudry, and Follow it up with Cavern with Dan Patterson (NACD). From there start planning your next trip.

The country Garden Inn is nice and cheap in High Springs. (or my Fav the Cadillac Motel) ~50/nite.

UFCDiver - you cribbed my path to cave :)

1. Take GUE Fundies (Rec pass), Take Adv Nitrox (IANTD), GUE Tech pass.
2. Cavern & Intro (IANTD) - Bunch of Dives (where i'm sitting currently)
then....
3. GUE Cave 1, Tech 1 - bunch of dives.
4. GUE Cave 2, Tech 2

I'm more meandering towards full cave than rushing it, When i feel i've mastered a level then i move on.
Doing it in one shot i feel is a disservice to yourself, there is a ton to master and that takes time.

Once you do your first tie in in Devils Ear you'll know what i mean. You're staring a a tangle of lines on a busy day and thinking where the F... am i going to put this and not get blow out crack. Here Goes.......Sh**, F***, Etc. :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom