Getting started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zblink1888

Reaction score
i just got my open water and am going to immediately go to a bp/w setup because i am not a fan of the bulky and floppy feeling of a jacket. also i think it would help me improve my skills faster. i was thinking along the lines of this for gear. need to be able to switch from single to dual tanks. i am diving mainly norther waters like Lake Superior. was planning on running DIN valves and HP please give input.

Bp/w
Halcyon eclipse and evolve set-up
Apex WTX soft harness with ss backplate
Zeagle ss backplate with deluxe harness
Regs
Apex Tek 3 reg set for dual tanks
Scuba Pro MK17/S555 for single
Comp.
Oceanic VT3
Scuba Pro Galileo SOL

I sat where you sat about a year ago...I'll share what I came up with asking questions on here and you can go researching!

It all depends on what sort of diving you want to do in the future I believe. I knew I wanted to gravitate towards the tech side. I went with the basic SS backplate and one piece Hogarthian harness. I do splurge on my doubles rig and have the neoprene shoulder pads on it. Why? Because I can configure that harness however I desire. It is super adjustable, super modificatable (It's a word, ask the Pres.), and for me it fits like second skin. I wanted to get away from all the padding and such found in my original BCD. Not to mention the basic Hog system i found was cheaper for me to build and maintain.

As for regs, I've tried Poseidon, Atomic, and Scubapro (I own models of all three)and I settled on the Scubapro MK17/G250V for my doubles, and older G250's on my singles rig. I love them, as they are awesome performers and great cold water regs. My buddy dives Apeks and swears by them as they are great as well. Winds up being personal preference. Not much experience with the S555 though.

Computers! If you're going to stay recreational, go for the Galileo. Nice computer and will do anything you want recreationally. I believe that if you go tech, the computer would stay in gauge mode and the Galileo would be one expensive computer to use only in gauge mode. I got the SmartTec after they discontinued it and therefor at a hugely reduced price. Works great for both rec and tech, again in my humble opinion.

Above all, I suggest seeing if you can try everything out before you buy!! See how it works for you.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert. Just sharing my views from when I went through what you are going through now.

thanks for your input especially with the computer. do you have to seperat rigs for single and doubles? because i was thinking in just switching out the wings and regulator type of deal. after you input i am narrowing my back plate choices between the zeagel backplate and harness or the Halcyon. i don't know it the back plate will make that much of a difference because they will both be stainless steel. with the scubapro regulator the s555 replaced the x650 due to problems and recalls i heard which was their cold water 2nd stage. i was planning on going into the tech route but it will be a while and i was planning on rec. diving for a year of two. i was wondering if you knew anything about the vt3 dive computer and if it could play double duty for me.

I prefer an AL backplate with double steel tanks, and a SS one with single tanks. One thing you didn't mention is what tanks and exposure protection you're going to wear. Read some of Tobin's posts to find out about a balanced rig, you might find that you think it's unsafe to dive steel doubles in a wet suit, or you might decide it's a risk you're willing to take, but either way, you need to make that decision early in your gear purchasing state.

You should check out the salvo 1st stages for doubles routing, they have a LP port on the bottom for your safe second and lp inflater hose that really routes nicely.

For a computer, I suggest a nitek duo, since it can really grow with you.

Don't forget drysuit/wetsuit pockets with bungee in them, they can REALLY help, your shoulders already break the water and have caused that drag, so take advantage of it and stuff things in there (wet notes, dive tables, safety spool, etc)!

DIR-diver.com - What's new
I find this site to be a great resource. Ignore the DIR debate, stay out of the arguments, and learn what you can from those who love it and those who hate it.

i was going to take a dry suit class in the next couple months here because i don't feel like diving Lake Superior in anything else but other wise i will be wearing a 7 mm wet or a 6.5 semi dry when i am in wisconsin and the region in mid to late summer.

thanks for your input with the aluminum backplate for doubles i will then probably buy a complete second rig after i have had a rig set up for singles.

i was going to take a dry suit class in the next couple months here because i don't feel like diving Lake Superior in anything else but other wise i will be wearing a 7 mm wet or a 6.5 semi dry when i am in wisconsin and the region in mid to late summer.

thanks for your input with the aluminum backplate for doubles i will then probably buy a complete second rig after i have had a rig set up for singles.
Honestly, don't take the class. Try it first. Drysuits are a LOT easier than people make them out to be, and the padi drysuit course teaches you crap like using the suit for buoyancy that most tech diving instructors would not allow you to do in their class.

One thing I forgot to say, is that Al backplates are for STEEL doubles, and steel backplate for AL doubles. If you're wearing a drysuit, you can wear a SS backplate with the steel doubles and it will work OK, but I'd personally get an AL plate asap, just suggesting that if you can't afford both right now.

Like I say, Tobin's post are very helpful, and his suggestions come with way more experience than mine or most anyone else on this board's. Here's a link to a post where he goes into some detail on it
The Deco Stop

As for regs, I've tried Poseidon, Atomic, and Scubapro (I own models of all three)and I settled on the Scubapro MK17/G250V for my doubles, and older G250's on my singles rig. I love them, as they are awesome performers and great cold water regs. My buddy dives Apeks and swears by them as they are great as well.

That's lucky - you can breathe from your buddy's Apeks when your Scubapros start freeflowing :D:D:D:D:D

It is an overgeneralization to say that steel backplates are for Al doubles, and Al backplates are for steel doubles. I dive double LP85s in Puget Sound with a drysuit, and with my current undergarment, I'm using a 6 lb V-weight in addition to a weight belt (this is with my Al backplate). I could lose the V-weight with a stainless steel plate (but I'm too lazy to put the cambands on and off my singles rig, which is SS, so I use the Al with the V-weight).

On the other hand, I use a Kydex plate with Al doubles and a wetsuit in Mexico.

It's all about the sum of your buoyancies, and in very cold water, you can need all the weight you can get.

OP, have you looked into the DSS gear? I ask because the Halcyon stuff tends to be at the very highest price point. Most of my gear is DSS, because it's well made and the company gives outstanding customer service.

Why different regs at all? Same brand and models on single and doubles means you need less spare parts. It also means thats it's easy build yourself a deco setup when (and if) you decide to go tech. Personally, I would go for the DS4-stages. Where I live, the price tag is the clue...
In cold water with drysuit, steal backplate is the way to go, at least, that's my experience. A single webbing is also better in way of economy and in simplicity. When wearing a drysuit you won't have any issues with comfort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom