Getting to 10m/33ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a 25 second breath hold should be enough to get you to 10 meters and back. My suggestion: forget the vest. Stuart Cove's provides flotation for those who want it, but for free diving, you don't want flotation. You don't need extreme fins, either. I use normal fins. A few kicks will get you to the bottom. A few more will get you back up.

The much bigger issue is equalization. With scuba you can take your time equalizing. But free diving you've only got that one lung-full of air, and that limits your time. If you can equalize rapidly, no problem. If it takes you a while to equalize, well, I used to be able to get no deeper than 12 or 15 feet because I could not equalize in the time my air lasted.

Practice equalizing your ears even more than holding your breath, and 10 meters will be a cinch. Someone posted a link to a great video about equalizing. Watch that if you have not already.

hey there,
I live right near MDCC and I go there sometimes to do practice as well, shoot me a PM if you want to go on some weekend and do some buddy exercises... I have a digital camera with a waterproof case and I find seeing vid of myself underwater helps me a lot with my bio-mechanics ( I can hear old coaches yelling about form in my head)

Back
Top Bottom