Getting to Bali from the East Coast of the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever you do, avoid Charles de Gaul airport. Do not connect through Paris.

Roger that. Security at CDG made me take every piece out of my camera bag. Every. Piece.

My wife and I visited Indonesia for the first time this summer. We're coming from the Baltimore/DC area. I did a lot of research. We don't have miles or programs. I am very tall and I really didn't want to fly coach. Upgrading to business or first class was not in our budget. When I discovered that the Singapore Airlines Newark>Singapore>Bali (EWR>SIN>DPS) flight was all Economy Plus and had 38" of seat pitch (vs 32-33 for other long haul) then I knew that was the flight for me. My only concern was that we had 55 minutes in Singapore to transfer to the Bali flight. But I padded the itinerary and I figured Singapore flies to Bali often. Turned out, it was fine. I only wish we had more time in the Singapore Airport - that place was amazing. Even though 18.5 hours is a long time, I prefer fewer longer flights to more connections. Singapore Airlines seemed awesome to us, but we don't travel long distances often. We did a combination of driving and Uber to Newark (to avoid a BWI>EWR flight). It was cheaper and easier.

My wife and I visited Indonesia for the first time this summer. We're coming from the Baltimore/DC area. I did a lot of research. We don't have miles or programs. I am very tall and I really didn't want to fly coach. Upgrading to business or first class was not in our budget. When I discovered that the Singapore Airlines Newark>Singapore>Bali (EWR>SIN>DPS) flight was all Economy Plus and had 38" of seat pitch (vs 32-33 for other long haul) then I knew that was the flight for me. My only concern was that we had 55 minutes in Singapore to transfer to the Bali flight. But I padded the itinerary and I figured Singapore flies to Bali often. Turned out, it was fine. I only wish we had more time in the Singapore Airport - that place was amazing. Even though 18.5 hours is a long time, I prefer fewer longer flights to more connections. Singapore Airlines seemed awesome to us, but we don't travel long distances often. We did a combination of driving and Uber to Newark (to avoid a BWI>EWR flight). It was cheaper and easier.
You are a better man than me. I'm short (all of 5'6), but even with chemical assistance have a hard time sleeping in planes. I did that eighteen-hour Singapore to NY flight many years ago before they paused it to reconfigure. Just like every flight, we got going...I had a few glasses of wine...ate a decent dinner (Singapore Airlines is awesome)...watched a movie...more wine...took my dose and a half of sleeping assistance...slept for as long as I could...and still had seven more awful hours to go. Never, ever again.

Matts1w
Once I did an 18 hour flight in economy. Last row in the back, in the middle of 5 seats. Couldn't recline at all. Couldn't get out of my seat without bothering two other people. When the guy in front of me reclined, I couldn't even use my tray table. Took some Benadryl (which usually renders me unconscious). But that time I had the dreaded paradoxical reaction, and it wired me and gave me restless leg.

Matts1w
Once I did an 18 hour flight in economy. Last row in the back, in the middle of 5 seats. Couldn't recline at all. Couldn't get out of my seat without bothering two other people. When the guy in front of me reclined, I couldn't even use my tray table. Took some Benadryl (which usually renders me unconscious). But that time I had the dreaded paradoxical reaction, and it wired me and gave me restless leg.
Total nightmare.

You are a better man than me. I'm short (all of 5'6), but even with chemical assistance have a hard time sleeping in planes. I did that eighteen-hour Singapore to NY flight many years ago before they paused it to reconfigure. Just like every flight, we got going...I had a few glasses of wine...ate a decent dinner (Singapore Airlines is awesome)...watched a movie...more wine...took my dose and a half of sleeping assistance...slept for as long as I could...and still had seven more awful hours to go. Never, ever again.
I hear you. I had a lot of dread beforehand. But, being able to actually move my legs was a big help. I can't sleep on planes at all. I've tried, but it doesn't work. I ordered a whisky and they kept bringing them, but even then I was awake the whole time. I watched an 8-hour documentary series on Big Wave surfing in Nazare, Portugal (fascinating) and John Wick 4, which was almost 3 hours. I booked 2 nights at an awesome Bali hotel near the airport so that we could fully recover and adjust to the time difference, so I made up my sleep there.

Long flights are harsh regardless of which way one flies. Something I do once on a flight is adjust everything to the local time and forget about the current time. When look at my watch and it is 2am I think I need to get to sleep. Regardless having a couple of days to catch up before diving or other big excursions is always helpful.

FWIW I have transferred through CDG without any issue but then again I can speak French so I have an advantage :).

Based on numerous trips I did over the year, I do believe that. Well at least for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom