getting to Cozumel with bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Last time I attempted to fly into Cozumel I went to check into my connecting flight from Cancun only to be hit with a $200 baggage fee. I carry dive gear when I travel and don't care to rent.
What is the least painful method to get to Cozumel both in terms of finances and reduced bag-drag. I know there are some experts here.

"What is the leat painful method to get to Cozumel . . ."

Fly direct into Cozumel. Anything else involves a bag drag, wait for bus, wait for Ferry, wait for Bags.

Sorry but $200 each way for baggage fee is a deal breaker. That's more than the flight from Canada and back, free baggage. Maybe I'll just cave dive in Tulum

Next...

Fly United. See my post about United bag fees. No charge up to 70 pounds

Thanks but I am flying Westjet from Canada who offers free baggage to all military and former military members. They extend that service to US military which sadly your airlines don't reciprocate. Besides the baggage charge is only for the last leg of the flight from Cancun to Coz

Unless you fly another airline, the bag drag is the only way. We did it once, for me it has to be a big savings in order to make it worth while. We paid a private van $100. Rt. The ADO bus would be much less unless you are traveling with a few others. I have flown Mayair only once with all my luggage and dive gear. I paid an additional $50 for the overweight bags. I had a 50 lb dive bag, 45 lb suitcase and a very full backpack. Surprised to hear about an additional fee of $200.....was that for a few people?

Last time I attempted to fly into Cozumel I went to check into my connecting flight from Cancun only to be hit with a $200 baggage fee. I carry dive gear when I travel and don't care to rent.
What is the least painful method to get to Cozumel both in terms of finances and reduced bag-drag. I know there are some experts here.

It sounds as though you may have taken a Mayair flight from Cancun to Cozumel? I took two 50 pound pieces of luggage, a carry on and a computer and my total excess weight fees were less than $100 round trip with Mayair. The most it should be is the price of a second ticket ($65?) each way. Had they gone "by the book" on me, I'd have paid about $150 each way. As it was, I paid $25 from Cancun to Cozumel, and $60 from Cozumel to Cancun. The plane from CUN to CZM had about 6 people in it. The plane from CZM to CUN had about 10 people.

If you went Mayair, cvchief seems to know all the ins and outs of using them and could probably explain how to minimize the extra weight fees.

Or maybe you didn't use Mayair? I hadn't hear of other airlines flying into Cozumel from Cancun. Taca?

It sounds as though you may have taken a Mayair flight from Cancun to Cozumel? I took two 50 pound pieces of luggage, a carry on and a computer and my total excess weight fees were less than $100 round trip with Mayair. The most it should be is the price of a second ticket ($65?) each way. Had they gone "by the book" on me, I'd have paid about $150 each way. As it was, I paid $25 from Cancun to Cozumel, and $60 from Cozumel to Cancun. The plane from CUN to CZM had about 6 people in it. The plane from CZM to CUN had about 10 people.

If you went Mayair, cvchief seems to know all the ins and outs of using them and could probably explain how to minimize the extra weight fees.

Or maybe you didn't use Mayair? I hadn't hear of other airlines flying into Cozumel from Cancun. Taca?

Yes it was Mayair and the prices seem to be at the whim of the agent that books you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom