getting to Cozumel with bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fly direct to cozumel.

Or or take the ferry from playa del Carmen instead of a plane from cancun

Yes it was Mayair and the prices seem to be at the whim of the agent that books you.

That was my impression too. Or in my case, it seemed to be at the discretion of the person at the gate.

If I was going to do it again, I'd book it via cvchief's instructions and see if there's some haggle room and a way to get assurance that you'd only be charged up to a second ticket price, or less. When I booked, I did it online but I think calling is better?

There's a ferry from Cancun?
I must have been editing as you posted, I realized the sentence wasn't clear (I was only referring to the plane from Cancun). You have to go from Cancun to Playa del Carmen. It's not far.

The bad drag is very easy. Exit terminal 3 in Cancun and just to the right of the entrance is a small podium for the ADO bus (and usually the bus) they leave about every thirty minutes on the top and bottom of the hour. The fee is $146 MEX (10.50 US) and it is about 45 minutes to the station near the ferry. In Playa head diagonally towards the ocean and south 2 blocks (takes less than 5 minutes) and catch the next ferry to Cozumel (leaves at the top of the hour). The last ferry during high season is at 10PM and runs $14 ? US. If the timing is right you are looking at 1 3/4 hour from the airport to the Cozumel pier and about being $26 US poorer. I believe there is a sticky above with even better instructions. They sell beer on the ferry.

---------- Post added November 30th, 2014 at 07:29 PM ----------

FYI, I work for the folks who started the current bag fee BS / abuse but Mayan has got it really goofy. The walk up airfair is about $50 US, you can't screw a pax for 4X the walk up fare for the weight of an additional single passenger's weight in baggage. It's like someone read what the main line US and European carriers were getting away with on $500 tickets but overlooked that their model was @ 1/10 the ticket value with easy options @ 1/2 that. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

The only options of which I'm aware are:
Take a flight that terminates in Cozumel, whether it connects somewhere on the way or not
or
Take a flight that terminates in Cancún
then
Fly on Mayair to Cozumel
or
Get to Playa del Carmen (by bus, taxi, or chartered transport van) and take the ferry​

The first option is preferable when schedules make it possible and when it's not excessively expensive. There are no direct flights to Cozumel from my part of the world so, no matter what, I'll be making some sort of connection somewhere.

You can do the bus/ferry for about USD$25 per person each way, and for large groups a bit less per person (because a chartered van can end up being less per person), so I will happily pay $50 per person more to fly into Cozumel since that's break-even without even accounting for any other issues. The bus takes about an hour and the ferry about 40 minutes. It's theoretically possible to get from the airport to the island in 2 hours, but that requires optimal timing and a fair amount of luck.

You can fly Mayair for under $40 each way if you do it right, but as the original post points out excess baggage is very expensive. They weigh both carry-on and check-through and "excess" is anything over 20 kilos, so for divers with gear this is often not a good option. The flight takes about 20 minutes and flights are roughly every 2 hours.

As much as I prefer to get off the plane and be in Cozumel, it's not always practical. For example, on Friday I need to be at a government office during the morning and the earliest flights to Cozumel I can find land late enough in the morning that a slow immigration or customs line will make my trip useless. I can get a flight to Cancún that lands at 0748, which even with immigration, customs, bus, and ferry should easily have me on the island and at the office before noon. Depending upon how long lines take, I'll likely be able to get to the island not much later than than if I took the 1000 Mayair flight.

The "bag drag" is really not at all difficult even if you have a lot of luggage. The ADO buses are not far outside each terminal and one can get an inexpensive porter to get luggage to the bus. In Playa del Carmen the bus station is about 3 blocks from the ferry landing and one can get a triciclero to pedal luggage there for a few bucks. The bus is comfortable and the ferry is sort of fun. Use Ron Lee's excellent walk-through for every step in the process. Note that although a post above referred to the bus being just outside Terminal 3, which it is, it's also just outside Terminal 2 if your flight lands there - there's no reason to try to get from one terminal to another to catch the bus.

WestJet has regular flights to Coz.....why not go direct?

But Dave, you know everything......[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom