getting to Cozumel with bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My best advice is to pair down the baggage. My son and I shared one suitcase, and our dive bag was the other piece of luggage. Free on American going to Coz, but it cost $25 a bag coming back to the States. Add a couple of backpacks as carryons and we were fine for a week.

I would rather die than fly into Cancun for a vacation on Cozumel. My time is more valuable to me that the cost difference.
If I were staying on Mainland for several days then it would be okay.... but if I am going to Cozumel, I am flying into/out of Cozumel. Period

WestJet has regular flights to Coz.....why not go direct?

Unfortunately the direct flights into Cozumel are a long trip from Vancouver Island. I took that route in 2013.

Flew from Comox to Calgary, overnight flight from Calgary to Toronto, and morning flight from Toronto to Cozumel.

Return leg was Cozumel to Toronto, Toronto to Calgary, overnight in Calgary, and morning flight from Calgary to Comox.
I stayed overnight with relatives in Calgary, so saved the cost of a hotel room.

It sure would be nice to be able to get a direct flight from Vancouver to Cozumel. :wink:

I recently booked a return flight from Vancouver to Cozumel for just under $500.00 on United Airlines. The actual air fare was around $340.00 but when you add in all the extra fees, brought it up to $500.00. It is a milk run, but was much less than any of the other airlines were charging.

Divegoose

Last edited:
For those who will avoid going through CUN to get to Cozumel that is your option. I have done it plenty and it is not a big deal.

Look at thye website I created and keep that in the back of your cranial cavity. I had a trip on Delta via ATL. The first flight was delayed so I would not make the connecting flight to CZM.

I could have overnighted in Atlanta and missed a day of diving but NO. No I tell you. I got on another airline to DFW then to CUN. I made it to Cozumel later than planned but still on the planned arrival day and did not miss a day of diving.

I would rather die than fly into Cancun for a vacation on Cozumel. My time is more valuable to me that the cost difference.
If I were staying on Mainland for several days then it would be okay.... but if I am going to Cozumel, I am flying into/out of Cozumel. Period

I have done them both out of Houston, Cozumel and Cancun. It's just a couple extra hours to go through Cancun with a nice ferry ride to boot.

I have done them both out of Houston, Cozumel and Cancun. It's just a couple extra hours to go through Cancun with a nice ferry ride to boot.

A "couple extra hours" is probably more or less of a hassle depending on how long you have already been traveling.

"""A "couple extra hours" is probably more or less of a hassle depending on how long you have already been traveling."""

Not really..........there are so many DIRECT NON STOP flights to Cancun from all over the USA and not so many to Cozumel. So, for me, having a flight into CZM BUT connecting in places like ATL, DFW and IAH, etc......seems like the same amount of time lost (=bag drag time!) AND a much less chance for delays, equipment failure, etc.

Of course price is a factor, but I kinda enjoy just plain getting off the plane in Cancun and sniffing the air, getting to "tour" a bit of the mainland, and the ferry ride is icing on the cake..........let's see------two hours of stress waiting in Dallas, two hours traveling in the Yucatan and a ferry ride...........I'll take door #2!

P.S. Someone would rather DIE than do the bag drag?..............how sad.

"""A "couple extra hours" is probably more or less of a hassle depending on how long you have already been traveling."""

Not really..........there are so many DIRECT NON STOP flights to Cancun from all over the USA and not so many to Cozumel. So, for me, having a flight into CZM BUT connecting in places like ATL, DFW and IAH, etc......seems like the same amount of time lost (=bag drag time!) AND a much less chance for delays, equipment failure, etc.

I was already accounting for the sitting in the airport time as travel time. For me, whether I go to Cozumel or Cancun I have to sit in a connecting airport, and unless the savings is significant, I don't then also want to take a bus and a ferry. It is just too long of a day.

But because you have a direct option to Cancun, you are saving time by going there; so the bag drag doesn't add time to your day. It sounds like it may save it. So of course it makes sense to do it. Save time and money? I don't know why anyone wouldn't choose that. But you also sound like someone on the "less hassle" end because it sounds like your travel time isn't that long.

For those of us who don't have a direct option to Cancun, and flying to Cancun takes as long as flying to Cozumel- the extra few hours can add to an already long day. Which is where it comes into "how much is it worth to you".

If I was able to fly direct to Cancun and cut out the domestic connection time, I bet the bag drag would be worth it. But since I already have to sit in a connecting airport in the states for a few hours, or drive a few hours to another airport that flies to Cancun the time adds up and doesn't make it worth the maybe $100 I can save by not going to Cozumel.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for many people- heck, if I was in Houston, I'd probably fly direct to Cancun; but if you've already had 8 hours of travel, and extra hour or two is a lot. Just that how "worth it" it is depends on a variety of factors, one of which is how long it takes to get to Cancun to begin with.

If the choice was bag drag or death, I would do the bag drag for sure :)

I do not have a direct flight to Cozumel or Cancun. I have to fly to either Houston or Dallas and change planes.

Regarding it being long flight.... you need to check different airlines and days of the week. We find that some days certain airlines are worse than others. Also, look at overnight in a city that HAS a direct flight there. I know there are direct from Houston, Dallas, Atlanta as well as some other major US cities. If you flew there, spent the night, you could be arriving on Cozumel in around noon-ish.

EDIT: I just did a quick search on Expedia and came up with a night flight from Vancouver leaving at 10:50pm on Westjet to Toronto, 4+ hour layover, then a DIRECT flight to Cozumel arriving around 12:30 for $721 pp. The dates I used were April 3-11, don't know when you want to go, but I just picked those dates as they are just after Spring Break high prices. And FYI - that is almost the same price I have to pay from my location!

Back
Top Bottom