getting to the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'd like to dive the Maldives but the route to get there is crazy. I'm in Indianapolis so I know I have to make more connections than coastal people. But even from what I can find it's like a 43 hour trip and cost as much or more than the liveaboards. Can anyone shoot me a good route, airline, etc? Thanks

First get to London. Stop overnight,a
Have a few pints at a local pub...then, flight to Male is about 11-12 hours. Can’t help you with the co$t .

First, do you have any direct flights to an Asian hub, like Hong Kong or Singapore?

If not, connect via New York, LA, Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, or a significant hub that has direct flights to an Asian hub.

Second, it might be significantly cheaper to book a flight to an Asian hub, then buy separate tickets to Maldives.

Just some thoughts and experience I’ve gained figuring out how to get to Raja Ampat.

chicago to frankfurt to male is probably cheapest and fastest route, but you have to roll the dice by buying each leg separately

Dave, I am Aruba Bob and I live in Bluffton Indiana and my Daughter and I are going to the Maldives on Nov 20th. We went on Expedia and booked air and a room. We are staying at the Liberty Guest house. We got air and 10 nights with free breakfast for $3,000 for the 2 of us. It does take 1 day of travel each way. We are flying out of Chicago and have 2 stops. When are you thinking of going?

Mine is not that bad. $1360 Houston-Male round trip. I’ll be going there in 5 weeks from now, Dec 7-17, 2018. We’ll fly with Delta from Houston to Atlanta & Air France from Atlanta to Paris & Male.

Houston - Atlanta ~ 2h flight + 2.5h layover
Atlanta - Paris ~ 7h flight + 7.5h layover
Paris - Male ~ 12 hours
—————————————+
Total flight time = 21h flight + 10h layover

Check out with Delta, to fly from Indiana to Atlanta.

I made a quick check with Expedia.com for my route & cost at that same time coming from Indianapolis, instead of Houston. I got this (20h flight + 14.5h layover)
03F854F0-611B-4781-881F-05773FE0EDF9.jpeg

Arriving in Male at about the same time as if I leave from Houston. It’s $300 more because it’ll be booked 5 weeks away. I bought mine about 6 months ago.

Going in the summer (peak holiday season) will be more expensive too of course. So, early December is the best time to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom