Getting used to my new BP/W set-up.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing i"ve experienced is that my bladder will take on water if I completley release all gas out. I overweight by one pound so some gas always stays in the bladder.

Thank you all for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

I indeed read comments on SB about the shoulder straps and will start by loosing them enough to easily slip a fist underneath. We'll start from there and adjust along the way.

I really wondered about the trim like @TheRealScubaSteve pointed out. I am assuming it has to do with weight distribution and the tank. I understand that there is no silver bullet and every dive will get me closer to the right set-up.

Thanks again and safe diving.

That's a feature, not a bug. Chances are that what you though was flat before wasn't.

Certainly, it wasn't a knock to the system. If I feel off I always have my buddy verify trim position. My most recent issue was in high salinity water for the first time while also using an aluminum plate for the first time. The biggest mistake I made was not bringing 4 cam band pouches instead of 2.

I really wondered about the trim like @TheRealScubaSteve pointed out. I am assuming it has to do with weight distribution and the tank. I understand that there is no silver bullet and every dive will get me closer to the right set-up.

Yes, for me diving in New England I prefer a slight head-down position because I find it easy to search/catch lobsters. SS plate with a good amount of lead to allow for bulky drysuit garments. Surprisingly, this setup was one of the easiest to trim out for me.

As stated in one post above I struggled with my aluminum backplate. Aluminum 80 instead of steel 100 and a 7mm suit certainly contributed to the time to dial things in, but I suppose it's probably just more familiarity (or lack thereof) than anything else. At home, I never have to fiddle with tank height as it's been well-established after 4 years dry and 3 in my backplate.

In Florida I dove with a SS plate 3 mm exposure and dialed it in on the first go-round. Science? Maybe, but probably just dumb luck. Plus a lot less lead to contend with.

Thank you all for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

I indeed read comments on SB about the shoulder straps and will start by loosing them enough to easily slip a fist underneath. We'll start from there and adjust along the way.

Thanks again and safe diving.

I bought my first setup used. So no help from a scuba shop. Lots of adjusting of the shoulder straps. When in the water I'd check for freedom of movement. How far can I cross one arm to the other side in front of me. Can I turn the tank on/off easily. Can I reach the dump valve on my butt? What about things I stowed in various location? I'd try it in the water, get out, take my gear off, adjust slightly, gear up, get back in the water. Did this a few times. When I started to feel the shoulders were too loose, I tightened the harness just a smidge.

The next step was figuring out where to wear my weight. On my waist. On the sides, on the front, close together on the front, some on the tank cam bands, etc. I kept the exposure suit I was wearing, the fins, boots, etc. all the same. Would ask someone how my trim was. If you know aeronautics, you'll know yaw, pitch and roll. I'd try rolling and see how hard it was to get back into trim. I'd do helicopter turns to test my yaw. I'd get in 17+ feet of water and try pitch. In all these moves, how did my gear feel? Was it hard to move (too tight) or did it feel like things were going to fall off (too loose).

I have different exposure suits for different places (drysuit or 7mm for Canada and 2.5mm for Caribbean). So I have different BP/W setups for each place. Adjusting everything while wearing a 7mm wetsuit was tedious. When I went down south, I didn't want to adjust everything to a 3mm wetsuit then adjust it back when I got home. So I have a BP/W for each type of environment. I use the same BP/W for 7mm as I do for drysuit but my drysuit its too much different with undergarments as a 7mm wetsuit. Maybe that is just me and others are okay with one BP/W for all occasions.

Thanks @ams511. I did set-up my harness with the instructions I got with the kit, but I watched the videos to make sure I did it right. (Being the first time and all...)

Your input is also greatly appreciated @scubadiver888. While overthinking it should be avoided, the tips you are giving me will certainly help.

I am trying to figure out the weight distribution and purchased a mesh v weight for when I use my drysuit as I need 26 pounds. With the cam bands, I think that could work. Weight pockets on the waiste will most likely be what I'll go for with my wetsuit. But all this is a guess and I'll be testing many configuration in couple of weeks.

I can't wait to try the VDH plate and wing... The review thread convinced me to go for it and I am sure I won't regret it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom