Getting water into ears while descending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DukeAMO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Another thread inspired this question. While diving, I equalize quite often while descending. In fact, I'm usually one of the slowest to descend, because it takes me a couple of minutes to get through the first 20 feet or so. After that, equalizing gets easy. I've also learned to intentionally let water into my hood now and then while descending. At some point (which varies), I can feel cold water filling my outer ears, as if an air bubble has escaped. Intuitively, it seems like it would be better for your ears if that happened sooner (at a more shallow depth) rather than later. I'm not sure, though. I'm also not sure if or how to encourage that to happen.

Haven't heard of this as a way to help equalising. I try to keep water out of my ears, as if it goes in deep enough I get Swimmer's Ear.

This is from DAN: Alert Diver | Ear Equalization with Hoods

Q: If I am not wearing a hood I have no problems equalizing my ears. When I wear a hood I always have great difficulty. Why the difference?

A: When we pressurize the middle-ear space using a Valsalva maneuver or other equalization technique, the tympanic membrane (ear drum) bulges outward slightly. If the ear canal is uncovered and can transmit that pressure, the water in the ear canal moves easily in response. A hood that fits snugly against the outer ear can greatly restrict the movement of this water, hampering the diver's ability to equalize.
One of the easiest remedies to this is to insert a finger under the hood near the ear, which will allow the water to move more easily. Another solution some divers choose to implement is to cut a hole from the inside of the hood, near the ear canal, through the inner lining and the neoprene but leaving the outer fabric or covering intact. The hole allows the water to move with little restriction.
— Marty McCafferty, EMT-P, DMT

- See more at: Alert Diver | Ear Equalization with Hoods

I would guess a hood would have to be pretty tight--maybe too tight-- to prevent water from entering the ear somewhat. I've used 2 different hoods that have all kept my head warm enough (in COLD water) that all let more water than I'd like into my ears.

Over the years there have been a number of posts where an instructor pulled the face seal to flood the hood of a diver having a hard time with equalization. It does have a history of working.

The issue happens when the hood has such a good seal to form a drum-top-lining over your ear canal.
When this happens, as you descend, the hood sucks into the ear canal and can be quite painful.

I've only had this happen with custom cut skin-in rubber lined hoods or hoods with a rubber face seal and also are normally made a size smaller to form a "good" fit.

Otherwise what I think happens is you either get water in your ear, or the air bubble in your ear compresses but is still "big" enough to keep water from touching your ear drum, which is when you feel that cold water entering.

Maybe you're following a red herring here... it happens when I'm not wearing a hood too. I can dive for a couple of minutes, and then all of a sudden... cold water on my eardrum. Brrr.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom