Getting wet gear home

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With 24 hours of no-fly time why is your gear still wet?

The default no-dive time is 12/18 hours according to DAN, not 24.

Anyway, the time to fly after diving is not really well correlated to time to dry. You have to clean you gear back in a hotel room which may be hours after your last dive, then often timing requires to you pack the gear the night before a morning departure. Add in working in a hotel bathroom and drying does not happen.

FYI: I roll my neoprene into a hotel towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Then stuff it into a trash bag to keep the stink in check.

I'd say that depends where you depart.
During the rainy season wetsuits just don't dry fast enough.

This is very true, I just didn't give it much thought before responding.
There's plenty of times that the humidity around here has been so high that much of the gear was still damp the following day.

All weather mats in the back of the subie

The Ikea "Large Tote" is made out of blue tarp material. Very strong and water tight. One bag holds just about all my gear in the trunk until I get home. $2.00 at Ikea but you can buy them on Amazon for like $6.00.

---------- Post Merged at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Forgot I had a pic of the Ikea bag in action.

418527_4414225164090_1746642571_n.jpg

I use a milk crate to carry all my equipment. This way when im done diving, i put the gear back in the crate and the water will drip out before I pack it up in the car. I have a Rubbermaid that will carry my fins, bcd and dry suit. I also have a rubber line in my trunk so it doesn't get the carpet wet.

There are lots of solutions the shower curtain being possibly the worst. I use a Stanley Tool container. It fits all my gear, has wheels, and is fairly cheap.

This was $35 or so at Home Depot.

Wallmart and Home Depot sell large Rubbermaid tubs as well for around $10.

Are you able to get your tanks in there as well, or just the other gear? Thanks!

I use the rubbermaid bin. Also I put plastic on the floor at the back door of our van to keep salt water off the floor when gearing up or down. There are obviously many methods that work. Main thing is not to let salt water dry on anything--especially the reg. If stuff stays damp the salt won't crystalize and cause any real damage. This means keeping it out of the sun when you're finished diving (use the car's shade?). Turning on the car AC (if available) for the long ride home, etc. Crack windows and TRY to park in the shade if you visit Burger King. Then immediately rinse it all at home, hotel bathtub/shower, whatever.

Garbage bags, especially for shore diving when everything has a different level of sandiness. We will bring several..... durable sandy stuff goes in one (fins, wet suits etc) BP&Ws in another then maybe computers and regs in a 3rd.... Been doing this for years and it works great

I don't live far from the dive shop so I have a tarp in the back of my SUV and just put my gear bag on that. Works great for trash runs too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom