Giant stride from 20 foot height in a dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

…I suspected the neck seal would burp as described above, but I wasn't sure if that could be mitigated some way like inflating my BC all the way…

Why bother trying to mitigate it? It won’t be as bad with modern automatic backpressure-style suit dumps anyway. Just make sure there are no folds or creases in your neck dam so it seals after burping.

Point your fin tips down.....or they will get ripped off.

I'd worry about the ankles potentially getting severely hyperflexed backwards if the fin toes got pushed back instead of forward on entry. I've had this happen from shorter heights and it hurt for days, hence the concern. Maybe just leaving them off and going in with them grasped firmly to the chest?

20 ft jump is big. Can't someone bring a small aluminum extension ladder and tie it off to the side of the pier? If I had to jump - I would have fins off.

20 ft jump is big. Can't someone bring a small aluminum extension ladder and tie it off to the side of the pier? If I had to jump - I would have fins off.

Climbing down an extension ladder in full Scuba gear would be a lot more dangerous. We had rigid ladders welded to the barges and climbing down was much worse than up... and we had tenders on our umbilical and wore small bailouts.

Just don't take a breath at the lower limit of your initial penetration and then pop back up th the surface. You'll end up foaming blood.

as for the exit, we generally work our way back to the shore where we climb out on the rocks.

Well, that's quite a let-down. You're sure there's no way to blast yourselves back to the top of the pier like penguins?

Back
Top Bottom