giant stride with a compact housing in BCD pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

I know the proper procedure is to first jump off the boat and have the crew hand your rig to you. But what if you have a compact housing that can fit into your BC pocket? Would imagine the pocket would protect/"cushion" the housing/o-ring from the initial stress of jumping in?

Thanks,

Bob

Probably would survive if there aren't danglies like a external viewfinder and what not. I've jumped in with heavy aluminum video cameras and lights before - they didn't leak. That being said - I did this only when I couldn't get topside help to put it into the water.

Another thought...perhaps you could wrap it in some type of fake chamois, or felt to lessen the blow and prevent movement?

X

It depends a lot on how giant the giant stride is. For most small boats in warm water (with less weight) you can jump in holding the camera above your head and the camera won't even get wet. On the other hand, here in the Channel Islands, with a drysuit and 25lbs lead and an 8ft drop from the bow of some dive boats, I wouldn't try it.

Bill

Do it all the time without a problem. I have done many giant strides, back rolls, surf entrys/exits and beached whale rolls all with my PnS in my BCD pocketwith out a issue.

Might be OK, but I don't trust it. I flooded one of my strobes rolling off to take Whale Shark pics, and it was only a 3ft. drop.

Thanks All!

I've been jumping/rolling/striding/falling in with my Sony DSC-P5 in my BC pocket since I bought it in 2002, sometimes from stupid heights and I've been rolled around in some pretty bad surf too. I've never seen a drop of water inside it.

I had a similar dilema this weekend. I am diving in the St Clair River by the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron, Michigan. I am now comfortable enough in this setting to take my camera down with me. Lots of challenges here...there is a boardwalk along the river with a 4 feet rail that you have to climb over in full gear. Then there is about 6-8 feet drop into the water. There is a steady current that ranges from 3-6 knots, depending on the wind. It's a great dive, so it's worth the challenges! It was suggested that I put my camera in a clam bag and lower it down in the water and pick it up after I am in. Sometimes the current moves too fast to really kick against to retrieve it, plus I am afraid the camera will fall out and I'll lose it. The "solution" that i came up with that I hope will work is this....I have a lanyard with a phone cord type attachment that is clipped to my BCD and the camera. I tucked the camera into my BC cumberbund. When I jump off the rail I hold my mask with one hand and the camera against my body with the other. Then I descend and unloop the lanyard to use the camera. It worked great yesterday and I'm gonna try it again tomorrow. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Maybe , maybe not(might depend on height of GS?)--only way to really know is 'do it'

I 'giant stride' (only about a foot and a half) in drysuit and weights with my Canon in Ike housing with dual strobes for years. Never had a problem. I fold the strobe arms in as small as possible, clip the rig to a shoulder 'D' ring (always have the rig tethered to me, even when shooting) and hold it close to my body with my left hand, right hand on my reg and mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom