Gilboa Quarry rescue attempted - Ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The Courier » Diver stopped breathing at Gilboa Quarry
GILBOA — A West Virginia diver was transported to the hospital after he stopped breathing at the Gilboa Quarry this afternoon, the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office reported.
Michael M. Flemmer, 52, of Bruceton Mills, West Virginia, was reportedly not breathing around 2:20 p.m. Saturday. Fellow divers performed chest compression until emergency personnel arrived, according to the sheriff’s office.
Flemmer was transported to St. Rita’s Ambulatory Care Center in Glandorf and was then transported by medical helicopter by to St. Rita’s in Lima, the sheriff’s office reported.
The incident remains under investigation.
Assisting at the scene were Ottawa-Glandorf emergency personnel, Ottawa Heavy Rescue and Glandorf and Gilboa Fire Departments.

Was on site and top side when this happened, but did not witness first hand. EMTs from multiple groups, including ours, were involved before dispatched EMTs took over. Air rescue was also on site, but did not land.

The situation as it was explained to me was that Mr. Flemmer and instructor (1:1) were ascending normally from the deep side after an uneventful dive, when at 10' student signaled trouble breathing and became non responsive. Not sure of exact details of profile depth and time. Mr. Flemmer was equipped in a dry suit, BP/W with a single cylinder of back gas, and a smaller slung pony, no details on mix or capacities.

Was informed the next day from staff that his life support was terminated that evening. Cause was a myocardial infarction.

My condolences to Mr. Flemmer and his family and my heart goes out to those involved in the attempted rescue and the staff at Gilboa. Fatalities are never easy to deal with.

This certainly sounds like a medical issue rather than a diving accident.

AlexL, thank you for responding to the event. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the fact that you helped!

Mike was my husband. Without going into great detail here, I can tell you all he was well outfitted and prepared for the dive. He was complaining of chest pain at 40', but he & the instructor were still careful of the ascent. He was conscious all the way to the surface where he self rescued on his back and spit out his reg. his instructor and a friend hanging on the surface, both rescue divers, towed him to shore as they stripped him out of his gear.

He was medically cleared to dive by his doctor. Normal EKG in June. Normal labs. However, he had a history of heart disease on his Dad's side of the family.

The coroner explained it was a massive heart attack - not survivable. He assured me it had nothing to do with his dive profile. It would have happened anywhere. He was used to strenuous physical activity. The weekend before he loaded & stacked 10 tons of hay. Two weekends before he finished a strenuous rescue course. I firmly believe he had the best chance of surviving the event with trained, knowledgable responders on the scene and a great team in the receiving ER.

Life is short and transient. Love your family. Be good to your friends. Enjoy the time you have!

I have been at Gilboa a number of times when diving injuries occurred. The staff and near by dive professionals always were up to the task.
Prayers and condolences.
Ken [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are sending positive thoughts and energy. We are so sorry for your loss!

AlexL, thank you for responding to the event. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the fact that you helped!

Mike was my husband. Without going into great detail here, I can tell you all he was well outfitted and prepared for the dive. He was complaining of chest pain at 40', but he & the instructor were still careful of the ascent. He was conscious all the way to the surface where he self rescued on his back and spit out his reg. his instructor and a friend hanging on the surface, both rescue divers, towed him to shore as they stripped him out of his gear.

He was medically cleared to dive by his doctor. Normal EKG in June. Normal labs. However, he had a history of heart disease on his Dad's side of the family.

The coroner explained it was a massive heart attack - not survivable. He assured me it had nothing to do with his dive profile. It would have happened anywhere. He was used to strenuous physical activity. The weekend before he loaded & stacked 10 tons of hay. Two weekends before he finished a strenuous rescue course. I firmly believe he had the best chance of surviving the event with trained, knowledgable responders on the scene and a great team in the receiving ER.

Life is short and transient. Love your family. Be good to your friends. Enjoy the time you have!

My sincere condolences for your loss and a sincere thank you for your post.

LindaSSF, sorry for your loss. Thank you so much for the clear, detailed information you posted. It is very helpful.

LindaSSF ... I offer my sincere condolences for your horrible loss. I thank you for your willingness to publicly share some of the details with the diving community. My heart just breaks for you and your family.

Back
Top Bottom