Girl bitten by shark at Makena Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow. bad news for makena landing. Good thing she wasn't in deeper and only got bitten on the leg. How terrifying it would be!!!

we sure have a lot of sharks lately. I hear people say that it is because the monk seals and turtle populations are rebounding.

So if we eat more Monk seal and turtle, the sharks will go away? or is it that if we have more shark attacks, the tourists go away?
Where is Peter Benchly when you need him? Now they have a taste for human flesh, no one is safe in the water!
Oh ya and why did she have a calf in the ocean? Sounds kinda mean to me. Im calling PETA.

Sorry, Im realy bored here.

I see it was nearly 5pm when she was hit. The water was murky. Not unusual for that spot in the afternoons. I believe she was a local.

The story has been updated to change the location to Makena State Park (aka Big Beach, aka Oneloa Beach), which is a couple miles south of Makena Landing. To confuse things even more, between the two is Maluaka Beach, more commonly known as Makena Beach.

The 15 year old girl is a local from Kihei.

My wife just vetoed my plans to grab a tank and go diving this morning. I guess I'll be doing less solo shore diving and more boat diving.

Just explain to her the sharks are now well fed.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom