Girl bitten by shark at Makena Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
Al, was the shark thinking "Local mo bettah"?
Nothing like dark meat, we all love it.

Surface dwellers are always at risk. If the beach is open, I'd dive it.

Does anybody know if sharks are like tigers, and can get focused on human prey after they've had experience with how easy we are to catch? In other words, do we need to send out a posse after the "rogue shark" terrorizing Maui?

We fly in Thursday...after reading that the freediver was "probably" dead before the shark(s) got him, my wife started warming back up to diving at 5 Graves. I'm afraid she may be sitting out on the shore dives this trip and will just be diving with Ed Robinson.

TSandM:
Does anybody know if sharks are like tigers, and can get focused on human prey after they've had experience with how easy we are to catch? In other words, do we need to send out a posse after the "rogue shark" terrorizing Maui?
No shark is terrorizing Maui.

That was somewhat tongue in cheek -- I am just wondering if the shark that hassled the kayaker, the one who ate the body and this one are all the same shark.

TSandM:
That was somewhat tongue in cheek -- I am just wondering if the shark that hassled the kayaker, the one who ate the body and this one are all the same shark.
The 15 year old girl was "tasted" by a grey shark, while the shark(s) that tore about the freediver corpse and harrassed the kayakers were probably a tiger shark, or another biggie like a great white. At least that's the impression I go reading speculations from medical examiner and others in the various news reports.

The article I read said it was a very small shark that "tasted" the girl.

Gosh, I hope this doesn't cause widespread panic. Two incidents in the approximate same area may tend to panic folks, facts notwithstanding.

We need great reporting, not sensational reporting. But that doesn't sell papers or air time.

Can someone please change the title of this thread to Makena Beach instead of Makena Landing??? The innacuracy of it is causing a bit of sensationalism here on the SCUBABOARD if you ask me.

Made a nice dive at Ulua Beach this morning despite the headlines. Crowded with other divers though since they closed the southern beaches for the day. No signs of the grey suit. Actually really nice water once we got out to about 20'. Lots of chatter on the shore about what happened. News like this travels fast. It sounds like a pretty bad bite. I hope she recovers as fully and quickly as possible.

Back
Top Bottom