Gloves for Monterey, CA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henderson Thermoprene 5mm gloves give me as good or better dexterity than most brands' 3mms.

I dive inexpensive neosport 5mm gloves in Monterey, or the Channel Islands, or shore diving anywhere in between. I think the dexterity is fine for working my dive computer, bolt snaps or lights. Generally, I am ok and sometimes my fingers get numb if the water temp is in the mid-50's or below. I would say unless you run very warm blooded, you are going to want 5mm gloves for Monterey.

Thanks to everyone for your input! It does seem to be really personal to whatever each person's cold tolerance happens to be. I looked through my dive log and I've had these gloves on dives between 50 - 55 F temps, with getting a little numb, but tolerable coldness in my fingers on the 50 degree dives.

I run very hot...I'm like a mobile space heater, and generally I tolerate the cold pretty well, so perhaps that's why the 3mm aren't so bad for me.

Hello! I thought I would add in here. I use the 5mil Waterprood gloves and my hands are fine. They are a little on the cold side, but they work for the time being before I go dry. I like the dexterity they have. It is quite good compared to other gloves that I have tried.

Hope this helps!

OctoHelm

I was just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for good gloves for diving Monterey in a wetsuit.

My current set (Deep See 3mm Kevlar) that I hastily purchased at a Sport Chalet while en-route to my first dive in Monterey (because 1/2 down there on the drive I realized my dive rental gear didn't come with gloves) have done just "ok" when diving there and my hands get a little cold. Same thing happened when I dove in British Columbia. It's not terrible, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade and the seems are starting to develop some small holes.

Do most people use 5mm gloves?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I used 3mm gloves. 5 is too thick

I have 3mm Bare celliant infrared gloves. They are a bit pricy but worth every penny. I didn’t realize how warm they were until I took them off in the water and my fingers were almost instantly numb. I think with 5mm you will lose a lot of dexterity.

Back
Top Bottom