Glue on wrist seal help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquabot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a new-to-me pinnacle evolution dry suit. The wrist seals seem to be coming unglued but are not leaking. What can I do to fix this (see picture) without sending it off? Can I use aquaseal, I have a small tube already laying around.
uploadfromtaptalk1426360797690.jpg

You can absolutely use the Aquaseal you have to do a patch job on the seals there. It may not look all that great if the glue gets away from you, but it should get the job done.

However.....
If the glue is disconnecting itself on one seal, then it is a safe bet that all of the glue on the others is starting to give way. It may just be time to switch the seals out overall depending on how old the suit is. Just a thought.

Fair warning though - I am a Dive shop owner and according to many on here, want nothing more than to take your money and laugh as you get terrible service.

Ditto above, but I'm just a DIYer and don't want your money :wink:. I use Aquaseal a lot for things like this. Store it in the freezer with a bolt in the neck rather than the cap it comes with. I can get 2 years out of a single (8 oz) tube that way.

Personally, if I were replacing the seals I would install rings that allow "in the field" seal replacement.

Thanks every one. NC air hog that's OK all advice welcome. Raftingtigger thats a great idea about the bolt instead of the cap

I sell drysuits but do not repair them. I have a place that is far more experienced than I am with excellent service. I've been using Superior Drysuit Repair in Minnesota for going on ten years. If that were my suit I'd just bite the bullet and have the seals replaced. You can do a repair with Aquaseal but I wonder how that will affect when you actually go to replace them? Dive Rite In Scuba sells tins of actual drysuit cement. I'd try that before Aquaseal. Knowing that it will come off as expected when the time comes if you actually want to do a repair.

Just an FYI Superior replaced all me seals, did a leak test, and had my suit back to me in 7 days. I did pay for expedited shipping but as I had a class I needed it for it was worth it.

Thanks Jim. I'm actually thinking about just replacing with sitech seals. I will send it off if I have to but I'm DIYer and try to do as much as possible my self.

I have now installed 4 sets of SiTech seals and have found Aquaseal to be the best (for me). I had to redo one set twice because the DUI (branded) dry suit glue eventually failed - twice! (after about 20 dives) and caused an arm leak. After the second failure I just gave up and went back to Aquaseal.

If you are installing the rings yourself with Aquaseal beware the glue makes the sleeve slip away from the ring until it sets. What I did is use a mandrel (glass jar) with a hose clamp to keep the sleeve from sliding up. Several weights on top keep everything in place. This worked much better than my first job where I just set the weights on top of the sleeve/ring assembly. Much smoother aquaseal inside that way.
IMG_0264.jpgIMG_0268.jpg
inside the sleeve, outside the sleeve

BTW is is possible to remove Aquaseal from a fabric suit, it is just a PITA.

I have now installed 4 sets of SiTech seals and have found Aquaseal to be the best (for me). I had to redo one set twice because the DUI (branded) dry suit glue eventually failed - twice! (after about 20 dives) and caused an arm leak. After the second failure I just gave up and went back to Aquaseal.

If you are installing the rings yourself with Aquaseal beware the glue makes the sleeve slip away from the ring until it sets. What I did is use a mandrel (glass jar) with a hose clamp to keep the sleeve from sliding up. Several weights on top keep everything in place. This worked much better than my first job where I just set the weights on top of the sleeve/ring assembly. Much smoother aquaseal inside that way.
View attachment 204699View attachment 204700
inside the sleeve, outside the sleeve

BTW is is possible to remove Aquaseal from a fabric suit, it is just a PITA.
So basically I just remove the old seal and glue and then slide the drysuit sleeve over the new sitech ring?? Forgive my lack of knowledge, new to drysuits lol.

This is the set I was thinking about buying.uploadfromtaptalk1426382377749.jpg

So basically I just remove the old seal and glue and then slide the drysuit sleeve over the new sitech ring?? Forgive my lack of knowledge, new to drysuits lol.

Not quite that simple. Careful prep is key.

1. Remove the old seal and then carefully scrape off all the old glue. Using a hairdryer of heat gun (carefully) helps. Use a blunt scraper.

2. When that is done then scuff up both parts with sandpaper and clean with the solvent of your choice.

PU ring pretend.jpgsleeve.jpgglove ring mandrels.jpg

3. Dry fit both parts to check that everything will work.

4. With the sleeve on the mandrel, put a wrap of tape on the sleeve starting about 3/4" from the open end. The tape should be about 3" wide. This protects the sleeve from excess glue. As I think about it this step is only needed if you are applying glue to both surfaces and is not needed when using Aquaseal.

5. Fold over your sleeve so about 3/4" (or what ever the width of the area to glue is) of the sleeve inside is folded to the outside.

6. Slide the SiTech ring on your mandrel so that the distal (far when installed) end is flush with the mandrel bottom.

7. Slide the sleeve on your mandrel so that the folded sleeve and the wrist ring touch, then tighten the hose clamp just above the fold.

ring ready to glue.jpg

8. Give the surfaces to be glued another swipe of solvent - I'm chicken, here I'm using rubbing alcohol.

9. Apply a THIN layer of Aquaseal to the wrist ring. I have found a tongue depressor perfect as an application tool.

10. Using a clean tongue depressor, slide it under the sleeve fold and work it slowly down onto the glue. Move around the sleeve as you go.

glove ring last.jpg

11. Put a 5# weight on top and walk away for 12 hours.

12. Using your clean tongue depressor carefully separate the sleeve/ring assembly from the mandrel.

13. If needed, using the applicator tongue depressor, apply a thin overlay of Aquaseal where the sleeve edge and ring meet. This way nothing can get under there to start peeling the sleeve up. You can do the same inside, but the mandrel leaves a very nice, smooth joint and I didn't feel any need to do that.

Good luck.

---------- Post added March 14th, 2015 at 07:01 PM ----------

This is the set I was thinking about buying.View attachment 204702

That is what I have. I also use the dry gloves with them. Give me a PM if you need more help installing them.

BTW, I tore a wrist seal after suiting up and was able to EASILY replace it while still wearing the suit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom