glueing reading lenses in mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading your post I ran out to Walgreens and they had NO idea what I was talking about. Is there a brand name that maybe can be purchased on-line?

Optx 20/20 stick-on magnifying lenses, I had to order them on-line because the store had no idea what I was talking about.:huh:

CMAN:
Optx 20/20 stick-on magnifying lenses, I had to order them on-line because the store had no idea what I was talking about.:huh:
I didn't ask. Just went to where the reading glasses are and they were hanging there. If I believed every time that I asked and some employee said no to having something, then I'd have missed out on a lot of stuff. But that's a rant for some other forum :)

Chris

they din't know where they at a Walmart out here,they said I think they are up front in the TV specials, starting walkingfrom the reading glasses past the pharmacy, there they were with the eye drops, now to put them in, sweet :)

Now that you've found em, if not look around the reading glasses displays. Over time, I've only seen them at Walgreens, but others may carry em, and most employes won't know what your talking about. So be a Paul Hogan, and do a walk about.

Clean the inside of the lense.

Lay out the lenses, curved side down (so when you pick em up they'll be positioned correctly).

Put some warm water in the mask.

Lay one lense in the mask - about where you think it should be.

The lenses will move around but don't get excited.

Use your index finger to hold it in place, then tilt the top or bottom of the mask down so the excess water will run away from the lense insert.

Two separate lense type mask, while holding the lense insert in place, empty the water. Do the other side the same way.

Single lense, just tilt to the other side to get the water on the opposite side. Set the other lens in place and empty the water.

Just repeat the index finger, tilt and empty.

The lens is still moveable. Pull the mask strap out of the way, place the mask against your face, select something to read, perferably somewhere between elbow and hand distance, move the lenses up, down, right or left till you like it.

Once you've got the lenses in place, lay the mask face down - flat - somewhere that it will not be disturbed. I usually do this in the evening, let it set overnight, and good to go in the morning.

They (lens inserts) will "stick", however, when applying antifog I usually try to be consicious of them and use a gentlier touch around em.

For the price, an extra set in the dive bag just in case.

Expectations: These help, but don't cure. I had to go thru a few of em to get the right magnifications. They definately enhance your ability to read your gauges, it's just finding the right focal length (underwater). Do you remember how it was when your arms began to get to short, you kept moving things in and out till you got the right spot, in time you adjust.

Enjoy..........carl

cyoung:
Expectations: These help, but don't cure. I had to go thru a few of em to get the right magnifications. They definately enhance your ability to read your gauges, it's just finding the right focal length (underwater). Do you remember how it was when your arms began to get to short, you kept moving things in and out till you got the right spot, in time you adjust.

Enjoy..........carl

Very helpful post, Carl, thanks.

I might try them, since they're getting down into the "cheap" range. :)

I noticed Optx brand comes in various models for various applications, such as for diving masks, safety goggles, reading glasses.

Any idea if they are actually different or if it's just marketing? Do the ones for reading glasses work the same as the ones for masks?

Just curious, what magification did you finally choose and how did that compare to the magnification you need above water?

Dave C

The Optx ones all work the same but the diving mask ones are a little bigger. I had some of these for a while but unfortunately they came off on a dive and were lost!

Can't say about a larger version than the eyeglass type.

I've used these for awhile now, and they seem to "stick" well.

I think my Rx for reading was 2.25, I currently have 2.50's in my mask.

When I first started with them, and needed to remove and place in another mask, I had to use a finger nail to get under one coner and lift it up. It was resistive.

The eyeglass style are small, but once you get em positioned right, they work well.

Unfortunately, the mask nose piece is where the problem comes in; the placement width of the inserts will not be the same as eyeglasses or the width of your eyes center to center.

If you place the inserts to high, to decrease the width for better use, you'll find you will have to till down to far and your chin just can't go far enough.

So when placeing the inserts, while they are still moveable, start off just a little hair below eye level.

While in use, you may notice that at certain distances it's just like having your glasses on, other times, say reading a gage (closer) on the right arm your right eye will actually be the dominate one. You can try all day to get it just right for both eyes, but it only takes one good eye, and take the extra second or two to "see and read" the gage. Don't just glance at it (at least not till you get accustom to using em).

As before, they are a great help, but not a cure, the true cure is a mask with proper Rx lenses, if you got the money.

Sorry for being lengthy.

Carl

I've used the Walgreen option for years. It's cheap and you can change prescriptions as your eyes change. I only use one on my non-dominant side for reading gauges. You can put them where they work well for you and it avoids the silicone glue mess (doesn't change the refractive index either). As to the sticking power you put them on with water and they stay put forever (current ones have been on for 3 years).

My advice, take the easy, cheap way out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom