GLWC Fall M&G October 14-16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be there Saturday for sure, and am trying to work out details to be there Friday.

Would any of you have a set of HP120's doubled up that I could try out? I'll fill them up for you, and you keep the balance of the air. I only want to try them to see how they trim out on me, so it would be a 20-30 minute dive max.

I'm diving HP130s but they seem to be too short for me.

Thanks!!

I'll be there Saturday for sure, and am trying to work out details to be there Friday.

Would any of you have a set of HP120's doubled up that I could try out? I'll fill them up for you, and you keep the balance of the air. I only want to try them to see how they trim out on me, so it would be a 20-30 minute dive max.

I'm diving HP130s but they seem to be too short for me.

Thanks!!

130s are too short? It's not like you're 6'5"!! I'm not sure I've ever seen a set of 120s. They're REALLY tall tanks. Maybe they're what you need though. Every body is different, that's for sure. I hope you find a set to try out.

Read The Six Skills.
:)

It seems that I always have some issue, to a greater or lesser extent staying in horizontal trim when motionless. My feet want to drop.

After reading in The Six Skills about properly sizing a tank to ones body I measured myself from a seated position to shoulder. I'm a tad over 29 inches. Same as the author who dives (at least some time) twin 120s.

I got the 130's because they were available, not based on any kind of proper body sizing of the tank. When I'm seated with the tanks on, I pitch back somewhat and find it difficult to get out of that seated position, which is exactly one issue Mr. Lewis brings up in his book.

So, that's why I'd like to give a set of 120's a try. One dive may not be enough, but it will be a good starting point for me.

130s are too short? It's not like you're 6'5"!! I'm not sure I've ever seen a set of 120s. They're REALLY tall tanks. Maybe they're what you need though. Every body is different, that's for sure. I hope you find a set to try out.

Read The Six Skills.
:)

It seems that I always have some issue, to a greater or lesser extent staying in horizontal trim when motionless. My feet want to drop.

After reading in The Six Skills about properly sizing a tank to ones body I measured myself from a seated position to shoulder. I'm a tad over 29 inches. Same as the author who dives (at least some time) twin 120s.

I got the 130's because they were available, not based on any kind of proper body sizing of the tank. When I'm seated with the tanks on, I pitch back somewhat and find it difficult to get out of that seated position, which is exactly one issue Mr. Lewis brings up in his book.

So, that's why I'd like to give a set of 120's a try. One dive may not be enough, but it will be a good starting point for me.

I.m not expert by any means.. In my opinion I don't think a longer tank is going to stop your feet from dropping, if anything its going to make it worse. The tank is going to hang down around your butt and pushing it down. Now as far as when sitting with 130;s on. How often do you dive in a sitting upright position? 130's are heavy. I dive them in the single variety and its all I can do to stand up with one. Try different fins, try moving your tanks up higher on your plate. lots of thing to try.

Good point Ted.

H had tanks moved up, but was too head heavy. Granted there is middle ground. I how have the bands right there at the tank crown. I'll move them up a half an inch at a time too see how it affects things..

just thought of this, too. I have a couple of pounds stuffed behind the plate because I get pretty "floaty" when tanks are around 500 without it. I can move that weight up closer to the center of my back. I should have thought of that before. I guess it helps to have this as my sounding board.

You're right Ted (hate to admit that :eyebrow:) but I do have some things to try.

Last night I bought new DUI 400 gram thermals so I'll want to get those dialed in, too.

I.m not expert by any means.. In my opinion I don't think a longer tank is going to stop your feet from dropping, if anything its going to make it worse. The tank is going to hang down around your butt and pushing it down. Now as far as when sitting with 130;s on. How often do you dive in a sitting upright position? 130's are heavy. I dive them in the single variety and its all I can do to stand up with one. Try different fins, try moving your tanks up higher on your plate. lots of thing to try.

Last edited:
I's been some years since I camped at Gilboa. Do I need to call and reserve a spot?

I's been some years since I camped at Gilboa. Do I need to call and reserve a spot?

You're kidding, right? :wink:

Ummm ... no. You can't reserve individual campsites. Large groups can block out areas, which is what we've done. We've reserved the turnaround in the far back. But an individual diver cannot reserve an individual spot. Show up, check in, pay your money and go find an open spot to setup your tent, preferrable in or near the area reserved by your group.

Thanks Jim.

I really wasn't kidding. It's been quite a while since I've been to Gilboa but I heard through the grapevine of camping spaces being numbered and roped off. Those rumors are what prompted the question.

You're kidding, right? :wink:

Ummm ... no. You can't reserve individual campsites. Large groups can block out areas, which is what we've done. We've reserved the turnaround in the far back. But an individual diver cannot reserve an individual spot. Show up, check in, pay your money and go find an open spot to setup your tent, preferrable in or near the area reserved by your group.

Thanks Jim.

I really wasn't kidding. It's been quite a while since I've been to Gilboa but I heard through the grapevine of camping spaces being numbered and roped off. Those rumors are what prompted the question.

Large groups can reserve chunks of real estate. Individual divers cannot. Period.

It all depends upon the number of divers they're bringing, or actually the number of divers they've brought in the past. Mike takes care of his most profitable customers. Large shops that bring large groups of students get to run roughshod over the place unfortunately. Luckily, we typically bring a large group so we're usually able to reserve the turnaround. It also helps that large training groups don't want that location because it's too far for their students to walk.

It's really annoying when a shop comes in, takes the areas at the top of the stairs and proceeds to block everyone's way in and out. When that happens, I just yell at them to 'move it or lose it' and then run their butts over! They're typically nervous open water students and they spook easy. :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom