Go Canadian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This was in yesterday's newspaper and on the news. I thought it was hilarious:

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (AP) -- An American T-shirt company has a solution for their fellow citizens who want to vacation in Europe without having to answer questions about U.S. politics -- pose as Canadians.

For $24.95, T-shirtKing.com offers the "Go Canadian" package, full of just the kind of things an American traveler needs to leave their country and its politics behind.

There's a Canadian flag T-shirt, a Canadian flag lapel pin and a Canadian patch for luggage or a backpack. There's also a quick reference guide -- "How to Speak Canadian, Eh?" -- on answering questions about Canada.

from
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/12/07/canada.tshirts.ap/

I AM CANADIAN and would never wear another country's Clothing Because I am proud to be canadian. Does that mean that some people are not proud to be American..... I think that everybody should be proud of what they are no matter what and not be afraid to show support for their Country.

Sylvain:
Does that mean that some people are not proud to be American..... I think that everybody should be proud of what they are no matter what and not be afraid to show support for their Country.
No, it just means that there are intolerant people in the world who can't differentiate between a US tourist and the US government. My wife is American and she is constantly harassed about her nationality even here in Australia, supposedly one of America' closest allies. She doesn't go around sporting Canadian flags on her backpacks, or pretending to be Canadian, but I can understand come people wanting to travel/live overseas and not continually be harangued about their goverment's foreign policies.

miketsp:
This was in yesterday's newspaper and on the news. I thought it was hilarious:

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (AP) -- An American T-shirt company has a solution for their fellow citizens who want to vacation in Europe without having to answer questions about U.S. politics -- pose as Canadians.

For $24.95, T-shirtKing.com offers the "Go Canadian" package, full of just the kind of things an American traveler needs to leave their country and its politics behind.

There's a Canadian flag T-shirt, a Canadian flag lapel pin and a Canadian patch for luggage or a backpack. There's also a quick reference guide -- "How to Speak Canadian, Eh?" -- on answering questions about Canada.

from
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/12/07/canada.tshirts.ap/

This torques me off no end.

Frankly, I think all Canucks should send "shocked & appalled" email to their customer service dept: CustomerService@T-ShirtKing.com

JMHO, of course. :soapbox:

At first I didn't think it would matter much, but then I thought about it. If enough Americans did this then quite soon many people would end up thinking that Canadians were just like Americans! I'm not sure if Canada would like that!:11:

Also, I think their cover will be blown once they get into the fluorescent diving gear some of our U.S. friends like to sport

I think the first question one needs to ask is, "Why are they in Europe anyway? What is there to see? If US citizens get treated badly, then US citizens should spend their tourist dollars elsewhere.

I mean, if I saw a French person here, I wouldn't ask them how they planned to spend all the Oil for Food money.

As a Canadian I would never pretend to be anything other than Canadian. American travelers know that they are "Targets" in certain countries and I think that they have the sense to spend their money where they will be treated with respect and not hide who they are. Be Proud of who you are!
My 2 cent eh!

I'm a bit offended that someone would try to pass off as Canadian when they are not. At the same time it's nice to know that Canadians are well thought of around the world. We are not perfect and our Gov't has put their foot in their mouth on more than one occasion but all in all we are liked as a nation.
As far as the quick reference guide -- "How to Speak Canadian, Eh?" goes this really burns my boat. BIG TIME! Someone from California is not going to speak the same way as some one from Rhode Island. I've yet to hear a Canadian say Eh? That would be like me saying that Americans go around say "How y'all doing":fork:
Jason

Kennedydive:
I've yet to hear a Canadian say Eh?
Seriously? A lot actually do.

Kennedydive:
That would be like me saying that Americans go around say "How y'all doing":fork:
Ditto. Rather, "How y'all doin'." The "y'all," along with pronouncing the "ing," sounds pretty weird.

Me? A first-generation U.S.-American born to Polish immigrant parents in Pennsylvania. Lived all over the U.S., as well as in Germany and now in Poland.

You do understand, don't you, the "y'all" works as the plural of "you"? There are actually times when it works quite well. :wink:

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom