Go Pro with LCD back screen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonru

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've seen many divers with GoPros but it seems, a lot of the time, to be point and pray....
I'd like to be able to see what I'm shooting.

What kit would I need, full set up for:-

Gopro 3 (silver)
Housing to 40 metres
Back video screen.

??

Soryy a little vague.... but just started looking.

I have a go pro Hero black 3 with the lcd screen which comes with the extra thick door for the stock housing, If you go the newest hero 3+ the housing is smaller and the back door that comes with the LCD screen will not fit. Go Pro will send you for free if you ask customer service the housing for the go pro 3 which will fit the go pro 3+ model. I just saved the money and bought the cheaper 3 model rather than the 3+ which is a bit smaller in size.

You will also want a spare battery and a 64 gig card all of this worked great all week on vacation last week. You will want to invest in lights and a tray or mount set up but that is another topic.

I enjoyed my go pro this week in the Caribbean I am sure you will like which ever model you go with. just make sure you check the compatibility of options and know if you are buying the hero 2 hero 3 or the hero 3+

Herb Alaska

I leave the LCD screen on all of the time and record off and on throughout the dive and don't have issue with it lasting the dive. For multiple dives, I take extra batteries and swap them after each dive.

The only other item that I think is very helpful is an extendable monopod. It allows you to get the camera closer to the action than would be possible if it was hand-held.

Jim

Note the hero 3 battery is different from the hero 3+ battery. 1050mha vs 1180mha

I leave the LCD screen on all of the time and record off and on throughout the dive and don't have issue with it lasting the dive. For multiple dives, I take extra batteries and swap them after each dive.

I do the same. I can always get a full hour long dive in with this approach......1 battery seems to last about 1.5 dives...

Depending on the logistics of your diving, you need at least 2-3 batteries. I have 4...mainly because on my most recent vacation we were doing 2 boat trips per day, 2 dives each, plus a night dive (5 dives/day). Charging wasn't possible on the boat, so I needed 2 for the morning trip...and then recharged those while I took the second 2 on the afternoon trip.

YMMV

I just bought the LCD screen for my Hero3+ but haven't dived with it yet. The screen came with the extra housings needed to accommodate the whole setup. My first dives without the screen led to me missing, or half missing, some awesome shots. I've heard the same thing about battery life, so I'll take an extra battery with me.

I just bought the LCD screen for my Hero3+ but haven't dived with it yet. The screen came with the extra housings needed to accommodate the whole setup. My first dives without the screen led to me missing, or half missing, some awesome shots. I've heard the same thing about battery life, so I'll take an extra battery with me.

Unless things have changed recently they back that you have does not fit your hero 3 + housing however your Hero 3 + camera will fit into a hero 3 housing which will fit your new back

Better check before you plan to dive and then please report back to us all. thanks

I recently purchased an Actionpro X7 and I'm more than happy with it. It works great, it's cheaper without compromising video quality and has a display on the back so you can see what you're shooting.

Back
Top Bottom