Go with PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK thank you everyone. I have decided I will go with PADI certification. I have another question though. My dad hasn't been scuba diving for almost 20 years. He does want to go back into it though. Does he have to go back and take the lessons again(which he seems to want to do) or can he just get a refresher course. Thank you all again.
Derek,

I hope he re-takes the class right along with you. That way, you will both be using the same procedures and he will have the most up-to-date information. There will be less confusion when you dive this way. Show him this thread to help him make that decision.

Derek,

I got my certification through PADI. The thing is that getting certified is just a start. In any form of education, many people regard the certification, degree, or course as a barrier to get through that they can forget about later.

However, to dive safely, you need to be competent in your knowledge and skill set. You need to keep your knowledge and skills current. On top of that, it is a good idea to add to them. I think that the certification agency is not as important as the individual diver taking responsibility for learning the materials and the skills and adding to them.

Derek,

Embrace diving with your dad. My dad and I got certified together and then dove for over 20 years until he passed. You will make awesome memories. You'll also have a bond few others in your family will have. Enjoy diving.

Some great advice there kid but as everyone said make sure the instructor is good ask around talk to people he has certified and also remember once you qualify put all your training into practice and most of all enjoy it :)

Well just about everyone certified in my area (salem, MA) has been certified by this guy. His name is bobby. He owns undersea divers and I guess everyone likes him. Once I can afford everything I will probably train with him and my dad will be my dive buddy.

I just turned 13. I want to get certified by this one dive shop and it is the only one that is close to me except the Y. You get PADI certified and the only reason I am asking is because I have heard some bad things like overpricing and other things. Should I still get PADI certified or find another place?

If you check my profile, you will see I have a vested interest in your question. To answer it, I will attempt to place myself in a neutral position.

Any agency is only as good as the Instructor teaching its program. Conversely, any instructor is only as good as the agency it teaches for. This is especially true when the agency restricts what the Instructor can add to it's program for certification purposes (like PADI does).

In any regard, look at what is included in the course. Look at diver rescue, watermanship requirements, etc. and base your opinion on this and not what people are telling you.

Good luck with your training and welcome to the underwater world!

How in the world do you figgure that you have a veswted interest in this kids certification?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom