Go with PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek, I think there are good points with all agencies. PADI is the biggest. I had a fine OW experience. Can't speak for the others, but if you go with PADI it's probably a good idea to keep going through the Rescue course, especially if diving with inexperienced divers. Think there is an age requirement. Maybe your dad would consider it first. Just a suggestion, as SCUBA is very unregulated and scarey things CAN happen.

How in the world do you figgure that you have a veswted interest in this kids certification?

As Richard suggested, I'm an instructor and the CEO of a another agency. What is the most important is for the student to be aware of what he is to be taught. What's the course consist of? Diving courses are not created equally.

The choice of any program is dependent upon how quickly the person wants to be trained and how inclusive the training program delivered is. Some students want to learn quickly, while others are focused on securing a larger scope of information and skill-set. The selection should meet the needs and expectations of the student. The number of training hours in the program is a good indication of its comprehensiveness.

So your VESTED interest is that you want to put down the agencies that aren't yours? Sorry but you sound bad fustry to me. I guess I could have a VESTED interest then since I not onlt teach PADI but also SDI/TDI, NAUI and PDIC. What a self absorbed croc.

Actually, it's considered appropriate to disclose potential conflicts of interest up front, even if you don't think it compromises your judgment in a particular matter.

For example, these days when a Physician submits a research paper to a medical journal, or makes a presentation on a medication, it is expected he disclose potential conflicts of interest.

In this case, some people might see a high-ranking figure in one agency as having a vested interest in convincing people to shy away from a competing agency. For him to disclose that up front was appropriate.

Richard.

Derek,

I was in a situation much like yours. I didn't know a whole lot about diving, but my dad knew the owner of our LDS. I took the PADI open water course and my instructor was great. I think that the PADI system is very good for me and I just received my AOW this morning.

My dad had not dove since the 80's and decoded to take the PADI scuba refresher course. I am not sure if your LDS offers this, but it sounds like it would be perfect for your dad. My dad came to the last two of the open water classroom/pool sessions that I did and it seemed to freshen up his skills enough where after 20+ years away from the sport he got his AOW
the following weekend.

Good luck!

Actually, it's considered appropriate to disclose potential conflicts of interest up front, even if you don't think it compromises your judgment in a particular matter.

For example, these days when a Physician submits a research paper to a medical journal, or makes a presentation on a medication, it is expected he disclose potential conflicts of interest.

In this case, some people might see a high-ranking figure in one agency as having a vested interest in convincing people to shy away from a competing agency. For him to disclose that up front was appropriate.

Richard.

I agree its appropriate to disclose conflicts of interest. I just think its RUDE to put down your competition like i continually see here. Also not nice to try and steal students from someone else.

I agree its appropriate to disclose conflicts of interest. I just think its RUDE to put down your competition like i continually see here. Also not nice to try and steal students from someone else.

No one has put down the competition. No one is attempting to steal students. Different certification agencies each have their strengths and weaknesses. These differences are reflected in their individual training philosophy. They can easily be determined by comparing the number of training hours and the cost of the program.

If a student is going on vacation and wants to be certified to dive in clear warm water and wants to be certified quickly, the training agency they choose may be different than if they wanted a more challenging course of study. It's dependent upon what the Client is looking for.

Each agency has different certification requirements. I encourage people to compare and become informed.

So your vested interest is not an attempt for a student.
I've seen your posts around here and you have an ax to grind.
I usually refrain from any comments in these threads but your vested interest in someone elses student seems to cross the line to me.
I think I'm done here now!

I am of the belief that it is a combination of the instructor and also the conditions that you learned in. I was certified with PADI, and had a great instructor whom I still deal with. I along with the 5 other people in my class were encouraged to do our checkout dives locally(they felt that if you could be comfortable in our local conditions, you can be comfortable anywhere). My LDS has their own quarry and does the checkouts there. I was the only one in that did my checkouts here, as the rest of the class was younger and their parents were taking them to the Carribbean for their checkouts. So they all got certified in 100'+ visibility, I got certified in 6' visibility. I will say that I have done some local dives with the people I got certified with and I have to say that they are nowhere near as comfortable in the water as I am, my instructor has acknowledged this as well.

I got certified by PADI in 50 degree water with 2 foot visibility in water full of sea nettles. It says you are allowed to dive in conditions similar or better than you were certified in. Don't try and dive a cold water area after you get certified in Hawaii. It is more about the instructor than the agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom