Gobys -vs- Zebra Mussels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed that 6 years ago when cleaning off an old buoy sinker. The sulpins would shy away when I approached but the gobys would come in like sharks, within 10" of my mask, and tear the zebras away from the broken pieces of their shells. Real cool to watch close up, I ought to video it.

Last year I thought I saw a rebound in native fishies. The year before VHS, that's viral hemoragic seprosimea or something like that, moved through the area and killed hundreds of thousands of fish. Most of those were reported to be gobys. The source was thought to be the zebras which the gobys ate and the desease would pass up the food chain to seagulls and other things that ate raw fish. I thought that this was the last straw for our fresh water ecology, now I think I was wrong.

Last year we actually started seeing perch minnows again, and lots of bass, and some very large walleye's. I'm guessing that lack of gobys allowed more eggs to hatch. Someone in the DNR said that the walleye and trout are now switching their feeding habits to gobys. Leave it to Mother Nature to come up with a solution to the worst messes we can make, given enough time.

I agree with Joe. It seems in the last couple of years there is actually a decline in the Goby population and an increase in the others. We saw some Pearch minnow schools this year as well.

It seems cyclical to me. At one point I thought the zebras were dieing off. There seemed to be more dead mussels on the bottom of the lakes than on the wrecks. & the shells had been getting softer each year. The first couple of years the mussels were in the Great Lakes the shells were so hard you couldn't squish 'em by hand. Now it takes no effort at all.

Unfortunately they just seemed to be in a low point in their life cycle. & here to stay.

Perhaps the Gobys follow a similar life cycle. Especially when mussels are easier to crush.

My 2 cents.
Paula

I have heard that the mussels blanket an area, exhaust their food, and die off only to return in a couple of years.

The zebra situation is cyclical like most other things in nature. The Gobies learned to eat them and that changed things and allowed the Gobie population to explode. Now the smallmouth bass and other predator fish have learned that Gobies are tasty. You will find as you swim across formerly Gobie infested territory that the Gobies are alot more skitish then they once were. You will also find the game fish to be more plentyful. It's just mother nature adjusting to human screw ups. The only environment that doesen't change is one which is dead. The Great lakes are alive and well.

jim

Yeah, i waved my hand back and forth to stir up some sediment and the gobys went crazy. i sat and watched and they must like something in there. i wish they would just eat the zebra mussels completely so i can enjoy the shallower wrecks.

thats why i take a little hook & Line down with me take a small piece of mussel and catch some goby's, its the new safety stop entertainment :)

Back
Top Bottom