Going closed circuit- My journey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought these were funny:

gi3-3.jpg

gi3-2.jpg

gi3-1.jpg

In the words of Bill Reals "To whom it make concern, please consider me a Stroke from this day forward".....

I went down the same path with much of the same issues/internal struggle...if it means I or my buddies are labeled as "strokes" so be it....but I am not ready to give up diving just because logistics/depth are becoming unmanageable on OC. I also ruled out eCCR early on; but instead went with the COPIS and have not found the OTS counter lungs to be an issue. What's your depth-limited workaround? When I feel that I am confortable on my unit and I start getting back to diving deep..deep I am planning on just using a Y-type valve and use a balanced 1st stage for the manual add.

Good on ya, and your team.

I will now have nightmares from all those pics for the foreseeable future.

Respectfully, a 'stroke' is an unsafe diver, most notably due to attitude.... As with most ill perceived DIR discussions, equipment is a very small part of the equation.

Yes, yes I know. I was just using a quote...please don't think I was trying open a can of worms :) I think we know that some see it as black and white...when in truth it's a sliding scale of gray.

What's your depth-limited workaround? When I feel that I am confortable on my unit and I start getting back to diving deep..deep I am planning on just using a Y-type valve and use a balanced 1st stage for the manual add.

I actually should have said "workaround options" as there are a couple out there. After a year or so when we get up to speed on the units, we'll start to play around with the options for going deeper-one of which is the one you mention.

Respectfully, a 'stroke' is an unsafe diver, most notably due to attitude.... As with most ill perceived DIR discussions, equipment is a very small part of the equation.

Just as respectfully, according to the gospel of George, anyone going CCR is demonstrating an unsafe attitude with their selection of that particular piece of equipment and therefore is automatically condemned to strokehood.

Whatever. A big part of DIR is being a thinking diver. Believe me there was a lot of thinking going on in my decision. The fear of being stuck with an internet label was not part of the thinking process.

Just as respectfully, according to the gospel of George, anyone going CCR is demonstrating an unsafe attitude with their selection of that particular piece of equipment and therefore is automatically condemned to strokehood.

Whatever. A big part of DIR is being a thinking diver. Believe me there was a lot of thinking going on in my decision. The fear of being stuck with an internet label was not part of the thinking process.

Dude, I dive a meg..... last person you'll be getting that argument from...

:)

On the bailout question we (my main buddy and I) decided on an 'each carries his own' scenario. We are not pushing systems so much that we need to stage multiple bailout bottles. At a maximum I would on average need 2 AL80's and some O2/deco gas to get out of a system. My current usage of the RB is to 'stay longer / go deeper' more efficiently rather than go further. When that changes we will have to revisit plans to match an increased need for bailout bottles along the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom