Going crazy regarding which reg to consider

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pkaquatics

Registered
Reaction score
Being a new diver I'm going crazy from one site to the next with everyone saying why there's is the best. Is there a site where you can compare manufacture to manufacture about regs? Something similar to buying a camera at Best Buy where you can compare the Canon to the Nikon to a Minolta. Or does it boil down to personal preference and comfort, then $'s and cents?

Personal preference. I'd suggest a balanced reg, lots of those available. A test dive is nice but even a cheapie will breath well in a pool, it's at depth where balanced pays off.

I am a fan of aqua lung and apex regs. Not the cheapest by a long shot but I love them and they've been very deep many times.

Your last sentence has it right for most divers. Buy a name brand that you like and can get serviced in whichever manner you prefer (locally or via mail), and don't worry much about which reg is "the best".

My first reg has lasted me many years. In fact I've been diving for 14 yrs now and just bought my 2nd regulator last month.

My original reg was a Sherwood Oasis. LOVE IT. It's not top of the line and does not breathe as easy as the ScubaPro I just bought but has been a great reg. Will continue to use it for teaching classes. A really great feature of this reg is the cooper fins in the 2nd stage. I have never had cotton or dry mouth until I used regs w/o those fins.

Not all shops service all regs. Check your favorite LDS and buy something that they regularly service. For example, I left my Aqualung reg at the shop that services my Scubapro reg. Three weeks later they were still waiting for parts. Brought it to my other LDS that services Aqualung and it was ready the next day.

Better yet, for really great service, buy a reg (new or used) from your LDS!

They'll love you for it!! And, you won't get, "that look". :D

Is there a site where you can compare manufacture to manufacture about regs? Something similar to buying a camera at Best Buy where you can compare the Canon to the Nikon to a Minolta. Or does it boil down to personal preference and comfort, then $'s and cents?
Probably not a single source of comparative data. But, there are more than enough threads on SB about the features that users dislike or prefer (balanced, diaphragm vs piston, environmental seal, adjustable second stage, yoke vs. DIN, etc.) to compensate for that, and going from manufacturer site to site is probably a less useful endeavor than researching on SB, and no more (or less) objective. There are a substantial number of manufacturers of reliable regulators - ScubaPro, Apeks, Zeagle, etc., etc., etc. Each manufacturer's line will reflect levels of performance, so you can get a low end Apeks, Zeagle, ScubaPro, or a high end. But, they are generally all functional and safe. Differences in performance at the different ends of the spectrum are most notable under more extreme conditions - e.g. at depth and in colder water - and are often a matter of perception as well as reality (you will find brand zealots on SB, on dive boats, in local shops). Local service availability is, as several have noted, probably one of the most important factors in a purchase decision. ScubaPro makes great regs, for example, but if your LDS isn't a SP dealer, parts will be harder to come by or at least slower in coming. A number of people will spend an almost inordinate amount of time worrying about making the ONE right choice, and there simply isn't ONE right choice. A process of investing 40 hours of research, to 'save' $75 as a result, seems like an odd value equation - you spend that much on dinner - but that is just my bias. So, do some SB research and visit a LDS (or two), to ask specific questions, then make a purchase and go diving. And, no matter what you buy, you will always find someone who will second guess YOUR decision after the fact - 'Why in the world did you waste your money on XXXX? My YYYY is so much better and I got a great deal.' Simply smile, and say that yours was free because you 'registered to be an equipment evaluator'.

Thanks much for the info. Being a new diver I'm not going to have a problem using my ProQD i3 with another manufactures Reg's am I? Just curios as the ProQD and Pearl with i3 have a small pouch for the Octo to get curled up into and out of the way.

Being a new diver I'm going crazy from one site to the next with everyone saying why there's is the best. Is there a site where you can compare manufacture to manufacture about regs? Something similar to buying a camera at Best Buy where you can compare the Canon to the Nikon to a Minolta. Or does it boil down to personal preference and comfort, then $'s and cents?

If you go to scuba diving magazine .com ,they have a good chart for 2007 regs thats helpful.
they tell you also what the testers thought of the regs they tested.
I do agree that you should get a reg you can get serviced easy at a dive shop near by.
When you see the price dif between local shop compared to internet it is tempting to go with the online store.
But if you buy from them you will most likely have to send reg to them to get serviced.
Thats why if you buy online make sure they are authorized dealer of what ever reg you are buying.
That way if you go to a shop near buy they wont baulk about servicing it.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom