Going Deeper than 130'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You certainly get a short dive at depths of over 120'. I have dived 200' on air (Apo Reef, Philippines), and it meant spending the rest of the dive at 15m if I didn't want to do any deco.

As posters above have mentioned, there are the concerns of O2 toxicity and and narcosis. It's all down to your experience and comfort zone. You shouldn't push it; take things gradually because, believe me, you can get seriously narked down there.

I'll go deep if there's something to see, and for me that means wrecks. Nothing like them. Several are 250'+...so this means tec and trimix training. If they interest you, I'd recommend you visit Coron in the Philippines and Truk Lagoon in Micronesia.

Did anyone notice the split fins on the tec diver in the link on post #19. I thought you weren't allowed to don doubles while wearing split fins.:focus:

Did anyone notice the split fins on the tec diver in the link on post #19. I thought you weren't allowed to don doubles while wearing split fins.:focus:

Those are rebreathers.

:ijs:

Those are rebreathers.

:ijs:

Those are also some pretty accomplished divers. At a certain point, gear becomes less of an issue than the diver's ability to use it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks skyguy--I live in Westland so it's not far. I might give a call.

Ah I grew up in Garden City and my first boyfriend went to John Glenn. LOL

You made a statement earlier that I am curious about. You said that some of the DIR stuff turned you off so to speak. Can you shed a little light on that for us? I ask because when I was new to diving, I got some bad info from someone who claimed to be DIR but really was just BS. You can learn from lots of folks even if you don't do everything they way they do. There are several routes you can go to safely learn to dive where you want to go.

John Glenn--My 20th reunion is next week how did this happen to me? Any way...

UnderSeaBB--I'm glad you asked that question.

First, my concerns about DIR are based on a bad first impression, a generally skeptical nature and a healthy dose of ignorance.

The first can't be helped, I think the second is a good thing and the third I'm trying to sort out for my self on scubaboard and with some books.

My first experience with DIR--and I don't know for a fact these tools were-- was at Gilboa Quarry. My evidence was a long hose necklace set up and scooters hooked to a crotch strap. They wrecked the vis with their scooters and on the docks were generally not nice people. They were pretty annoyed that the OW students I was working with were taking too long and were having problems with basic skills (which of course is exactly why we were there). It was not warm and fuzzy. It's not fair and it might not even be deserved, but you never get a second chance.....

I also have the impression that the DIR community believes their method is the correct and only way to dive. It is almost like they feel there is no room for people who what to try diving on vacation a few times as a recreation. "(insert agency here) stinks because they don't teach (insert generally accepted as advanced skill here) in OW classes". The arrogance, I think comes through in the name--If DIR is doing it right, then is everyone else doing it wrong? In my life I have discovered that no matter what I know or think I know, someone else always knows better. In this case, ironically it could be DIR. But that's why I'm asking.

Finally lack of innovation or improvement concerns me. If there is on one standard set of rules and gear configuration how does development occur? If DIR said the horse collar BC was the "right" piece of equipment how would they have gone to the bp/w set up? And when someone invents the "Super BCD" that combines all the best features of every BC ever made (possibly in fast acting eight hour tablet form). How would they make the switch?

Finally I will say this, after reading some of the posts in this thread, I am convinced that I can learn form what DIR teaches and I'm going to give it a look even if as a previous poster suggested I don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Arguing about DIR is up there with deep air, split fins and spare air as favourite topics on the board. Everyone has something to say, and people are very quick to push back on things that they don't agree with.

I would say though: don't tar the masses as a result of the conduct of the few.

I have my own reservations about DIR, but I have immensely enjoyed the time I have spent with DIR divers, and I have learned a lot from them even if I don't agree with everything.

Arguing about DIR is up there with deep air, split fins and spare air as favourite topics on the board. Everyone has something to say, and people are very quick to push back on things that they don't agree with.

I would say though: don't tar the masses as a result of the conduct of the few.

I have my own reservations about DIR, but I have immensely enjoyed the time I have spent with DIR divers, and I have learned a lot from them even if I don't agree with everything.

Well put.

My first experience with DIR--and I don't know for a fact these tools were-- was at Gilboa Quarry. My evidence was a long hose necklace set up and scooters hooked to a crotch strap.

The nature of a system that's been around for awhile and is successful is that people start copying. The long hose necklace tells you almost nothing about how people were trained these days (witness the endless threads on SB about "DIR-style" setups from people who do not want to actually take the class...just call it Hogarthian folks). Scooters from a tow rope seems to be the standard configuration that manufacturers of high-end scooters are recommending these days, because it works so well.

In general, GUE/UTD instructors are very approachable. Give your local guy a call, see if he sounds like a drill sergeant zealot (hint, he won't), and may do a fun dive with him locally if you can. I think you'll find the actual experience very different from the caricature.

Perhaps these questions would be better asked in the DIR forum.

Finally lack of innovation or improvement concerns me. If there is on one standard set of rules and gear configuration how does development occur?

Rather than address them all here, I'll just reply to this one.

DIR isn't set in stone. It has changed. It is changing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom