Going into deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
So how do you guys let your dive buddy know you have a deco obligation ... or how much of one you have? How do you signal when you've cleared your obligation?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hand horizontal, palm down and move horizontally
Then point to computer
Then hold up number of fingers for minutes. Or, point at computer and let the other person read it.

Generally speaking though, since I don't use a Suunto, my small obligations are taken care of by the staged stops and my normal 5 minutes stop at 15'-20'.

And, yes, gas is the critical factor in any dive with an actual or virtual overhead environment. Never, never, never, did I say never?, go into any kind of an overhead environment without enough gas for the dive plan. As my original OW instructor told me: The only true emergency is not having enough gas; all other challenges can be solved given enough time(gas).

miketsp:
Point at computer to indicate where data came from.
Make an active T sign holding left hand flat and bringing right hand flat vertically up against the palm to form the stem of the T to indicate a ceiling.
Then no of fingers for ceiling depth (m)
Then point at watch with index finger sliding around bezel to indicate time
Then no of fingers for time (minutes).

Even someone that never saw this sequence before should understand what you want to convey.
I thought it would be:
optional, depending on depth- the "move up" sign- upwards palm, motioning up (kinda like "everybody stand up")
1) level off- downward palm, hand moving back and forth
2) stop depth
3) deco sign
4) stop time

BTW, these are all one handed signals :D

ArcticDiver:
Then point to computer
Then hold up number of fingers for minutes.
That works great. It doesn't matter what the stop is for, it's just a signal that I'm stopping "here" for "X" minutes. Never had a problem with anybody understanding it.

Or, point at computer and let the other person read it.
Not much luck with that one. I've had people point to their computer and had no idea what it was saying (and I'm a software engineer). I wouldn't expect anybody to know what the heck my SmartCom was saying unless they owned one or had read the manual.

As my original OW instructor told me: The only true emergency is not having enough gas; all other challenges can be solved given enough time(gas).
That's a great line, hope you don't mind if I steal it. :cool:

Terry

I wave my hand horizontally over the top of my head to indicate the presence of a deco ceiling. And then show hang time in minutes with fingers, if someone cares. Signaling a ceiling in this manner always seemed pretty natural.

dumpsterDiver:
I wave my hand horizontally over the top of my head to indicate the presence of a deco ceiling. And then show hang time in minutes with fingers, if someone cares. Signaling a ceiling in this manner always seemed pretty natural.
That'd work. Or this...
Then point to computer
Then hold up number of fingers for minutes. Or, point at computer and let the other person read it.
I commonly use that for a safety stop anyway...

But when needed, my slate and pencil can write it out. "Stopping for Deco, please...!! :silly:

dumpsterDiver:

I'd have interpreted the fingers as the depth you intend to stop at...
Nothing indicated that you were signalling time.

do it easy:
I thought it would be:
optional, depending on depth- the "move up" sign- upwards palm, motioning up (kinda like "everybody stand up")
1) level off- downward palm, hand moving back and forth
2) stop depth
3) deco sign
4) stop time

BTW, these are all one handed signals :D

Since you're in the US one handed signalling when you use ft as units must be a real pain. :wink:
Signalling a 15metre or 12metre stop in metric is relatively easy, imagine in the equivalent in ft.

NWGratefulDiver:
So how do you guys let your dive buddy know you have a deco obligation ... or how much of one you have? How do you signal when you've cleared your obligation?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I usually discuss it with my buddy prior to the dive.

For any stops, either staged decompression or safety stops, I generally remind my buddy, by signaling a stop with a horizonal open palm moving side to side followed by the depth (30 ft would be indicate with a 3 followed by a zero), then pointing at my watch to indicate time, followed by the time (7 minutes would be indicated by the ASL 7 - imagine forming an OK sign with your ring finger).

miketsp:
Since you're in the US one handed signalling when you use ft as units must be a real pain.
Signalling a 15metre or 12metre stop in metric is relatively easy, imagine in the equivalent in ft.

Numbers are not metric or imperial. I could see a potential problem if you wanted to use Roman numerals, but as long as we stay with Hindu-Arabic base ten, I don't see your issue.

TSandM:
Another question . . . For those who are comfortable going into deco on a "recreational" dive, at what point do you assess whether you are going to have the gas to do the deco, and how do you do it?

Gas management is something you should have in your plan for any dive, it shouldn't matter if you have planned staged decompression or not. I freely admit, my gas management plan is often not detailed because I know how much air I'll need for almost any dive I'll be making.

I plan my gas management for the worst case of one set deeper or one step longer and into the first decompression obligation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom