Going into deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Must admit they do look near impossible with 5mm gloves or dry gloves on, i certainly haven't got anything like the dexterity needed to perform some of those.
Obviously 3 finger mitts they're all impossible.

9 looks almost identical to OK and even 8 could be confused if its dark, murky and so on.
10 could be a thumbs up if not careful.

Definitely dont like that system for underwater use. It may work with thin gloves or gloveless waters but cant see it working in dark murky water with thick kit.

My home bud wore black gloves last trip to Santa Rosa NM - 62F water, while I wore yellow. The viz was the pits, but he could see what I signaled for air, while I had no idea what he was signaling. Dive light on gauge worked better. For a deco obligation, we'd probly use that approach since we dive the same computers.

NWGratefulDiver:
1. Communicate to your buddy that you have a deco obligation ... do this by tapping your computer, holding your hand up with pinkie finger extended (ASL sign for D) and then use your fingers to signal how many minutes of deco obligation you have. Then you must ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Your buddy might be a little confused by your hand sign as you have actually signed the letter "I" and not "D" in ASL. The letter D uses the index finger.
03.gif

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/lan...sl/abc/big.GIF

NWGratefulDiver:
So how do you guys let your dive buddy know you have a deco obligation ... or how much of one you have? How do you signal when you've cleared your obligation?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
For unplanned or "loose" deco obligation... Poke the computer with finger, then smack computer, then hold a closed fist in front of computer and extend middle finger, whilst looking alternatively at buddy then computer.
Buddy then shrugs, hold up fingers indicating deco obligation time, then move hand accross top of computer, palm down, then indicate stop depth with fingers in metres.

When cleared, point at computer, make an ok sign but with all other fingers behind index finger, place over computer and move up and down in a rapid motion. Deco cleared….

Dr.RNA:
Your buddy might be a little confused by your hand sign as you have actually signed the letter "I" and not "D" in ASL. The letter D uses the index finger.
03.gif

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/lan...sl/abc/big.GIF
Yes ... sorry, I was misinformed. I've been corrected at least three times already.

At any rate, that IS the signal I was trained to use ... whatever it means in ASL.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Azza:
For unplanned or "loose" deco obligation... Poke the computer with finger, then smack computer, then hold a closed fist in front of computer and extend middle finger, whilst looking alternatively at buddy then computer.
Buddy then shrugs, hold up fingers indicating deco obligation time, then move hand accross top of computer, palm down, then indicate stop depth with fingers in metres.

When cleared, point at computer, make an ok sign but with all other fingers behind index finger, place over computer and move up and down in a rapid motion. Deco cleared….
Well, that would certainly make me laugh ... but I wouldn't know what the hell you were trying to tell me ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom