Going into deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereas:
So what is the coolest wreck in the NC area? And what is the best dive boat to get out there with? I need to check out NC somtime before I die and leave this world.
EM Clark - you appear to have the needed certs to dive it (mix).

nereas:
So what is the coolest wreck in the NC area? And what is the best dive boat to get out there with? I need to check out NC somtime before I die and leave this world.
Well, I hear the Normannia and the Cassimir are good. :D
Go here to read a bit more. There's a YouTube video of the dives on page 2.

Jason B:
I'll bet it was the flat bottom on the tanks that gave it away... :wink:
Of course, now that we caught him in error...he will just ignore us. LOL

mattboy:
On a simulated reverse or "sawtooth" profile on the 2nd dive of the day, suunto computers went into deco (or close) while oceanic computers had close to an hour of NDL. This was on an old scubadiving mag chamber test of various computers.
Since Oceanic computers are based on approaches approved by all dive agencies in the world, anything more conservative is silly to me. :silly:

DandyDon:
Since Oceanic computers are based on approaches approved by all dive agencies in the world, anything more conservative is silly to me. :silly:
:confused:

Not sure what you mean by that, Don ... most dive agencies don't favor one particular deco model over another.

FWIW - the Oceanic computer I own (Versa Pro) uses a modified Buhlman algorithm. It's one of the more "liberal" ones out there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Lynne, I'll betchya that Peter did a reverse profile (going deeper on the second dive than on the first) ... Suunto computers penalize you heavily for doing that.

I go into deco regularly (according to my Vytec) ... all I do is come up very slowly from 60 feet ... spending progressively longer intervals at the 40, 30, 20, and 10 foot levels. The computer is usually satisfied long before I am ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I led both dives.

Dive 1 was on 32 to 100. It was long, but it also had a very slow and conservative return. I'd guess that average depth was well above 50, too for an hour+ dive.

After a full hour+ SI between them, we splashed on air for dive 2. The 90 was just a bounce to 90 to get around the corner of the wreck. More like 80 for a minute, 90 for 20 seconds, then back to 80 - 70 - 60, etc...

We had fully half of dive two above 45 feet, and most of that above 30. In fact, the average depth for dive two was 43 feet (Peter probably had it logged as a 68 minute dive or so.)

Suunto's are Deco Nazis... hate them. Most of them recognize no good habits (like a slow, purposeful ascent) until you get above 15 (I think it is.) I know if I get into "serious deco" (like 10 minutes) on my Vytec, its as good as bent. Short of immediately going to 15 and hanging there and seeing nothing, its gonna croak. I hate it.

We were fine, had a good long dive. Computer was miffed. So what? The dive rocked.

Long live 'dette's Rasta Aeris!!!!

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I led both dives. Full hour+ SI between them. The 90 was just a bounce to 90 to get around the corner of the wreck.

We had fully half of dive two above 45 feet, and most of that above 30. In fact, the average depth for dive two was 43 feet (Peter probably had it logged as a 68 minute dive or so.)

Suunto's are Deco Nazis... hate them. They recognize no good habits (like a slow, purposeful ascent) until you get above 15 (I think it is.)

We were fine, had a good long dive. Computer was miffed. So what? The dive rocked.

Long live 'dette's Rasta Aeris!!!!

---
Ken
So I take it I should plan to use my Oceanic computer while down there ??? I know ... I'll bring 'em both ... if I manage to bend one I'll just toss it in the box and use the other one ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SparticleBrane:
:hijack:
Correct. Al80s tend to be long, and my tub isn't the largest in the world, so it tends to play tricks with your mind. :wink:
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Get you a bigger tub then you can dive 130's or greater.......Till then, stick with the little ones.....

My deco error was early in my recreational dive history. I was diving at Lake Tahoe, Rubicon point (that's Altitude, Altitude and a sheer wall to 2K feet) I was overweighted, i.e. my BC wouldn't lift the weight I had at 80 feet (we were planning a bounce dive) and I started sinking. I had enough dive and life experiences to not panic. I got down to 110 before I realized I was wearing a dry suit. I pushed the button to put air in my suit and voila - up I went. My buddy met me and he being a DM led me to about 65' and we cruised looking at various rocks. I had an early Oceanic computer with the tissue graph. I was amazed at how the graph backed off at 65 feet. We completed our dive with a 15' 5 minute safety stop. No problems.:shakehead

PS - yep - BC replaced before the next dive. :)

Yep, off the Bahama's, got to 190+ on a drift dive. Single 80, stupid I know, started a slow ascent wondering if I would have enough gas. briefly stopped @ 80, 60, 40, and hung @ 20 until the tank hit about 200PSI. The Suunto computer was clear and good to go. If deep diving now, of course, doubles are the rule and a bit of prior planning the norm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom