Going next week? Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikole

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Going to ask these quickly..

How much money to bring for 1 week? It's mainly for food. What are the restaurant prices like on the island (dinner only) Are there food kiosks for quick bites as well?

Has anyone stayed at the Windstock Resort? What did you think of itm

What is the food like on the island? And are the already-cut fruits and vegetabless safe to eat?

What else to bring, besides my mask/snorkel /fins/booties/Wetsuit (I'm renting gear there) and I have a medicine bag.

Has anyone that has been, become ill on the island? Such as travelers diarrhea or Typhoid (did not get vaccine)

Probably will not be working out much at all but still would like to know where the gyms are? Besides voyage of success fitness center.

How long is the ride over to Klein Bonaire?

Did anyone get their AOW certification while there? How was it, though who, and we're most of the dives on the western, more calm side of the island?

Any other shipwrecks besides the helmer hooker

Going to ask these quickly..

1) How much money to bring for 1 week? It's mainly for food. 1a) What are the restaurant prices like on the island (dinner only) 1b) Are there food kiosks for quick bites as well?

2) Has anyone stayed at the Windstock Resort? What did you think of itm

3) What is the food like on the island? 3a) And are the already-cut fruits and vegetabless safe to eat?

4) What else to bring, besides my mask/snorkel /fins/booties/Wetsuit (I'm renting gear there) and I have a medicine bag.

5) Has anyone that has been, become ill on the island? Such as travelers diarrhea or Typhoid (did not get vaccine)

6) Probably will not be working out much at all but still would like to know where the gyms are? Besides voyage of success fitness center.

7) How long is the ride over to Klein Bonaire?

8) Did anyone get their AOW certification while there? How was it, though who, and 8a) we're most of the dives on the western, more calm side of the island?

9) Any other shipwrecks besides the helmer hooker
1) breakfast $10, lunch $15, dinner $30, but you can spend more or less. I tell people to bring $100/day for lunch and dinner and souvenirs and incidentals.
1a) $10 to $60 for dinner....lots of retaurants of all types
1b) a few
2) I have no experience with the Windsock.
3)Excellent
3a) Yes
4) Booties should have thick (sneakler-like) soles.
5) Rare
6) There is one right downtown; search infobonaire.com for it.
7) 10 mins
8) Yes, lots of people, from lots of places, Hard to go wrong, actually.
8a) Yes
9) Yes, a few, search this site for names/locations. Also get a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy once you get there.

Have fun!

There are numerous threads on Bonaire that cover many of your questions. Tursiops also briefly addressed some.

There are few restaurants near Windsock so you should plan on heading up towards town. Hope you have a truck rented.

I have never had a problem with the food and water and I eat and drink everything there. You do not need Typhoid vaccination for Bon.
The hospital is small but quite good if there is an illness and there is a hyperbaric chamber.

Bonaire is an excellent place for any certification level as there are multiple shops, quality instructers and warm, clear current free waters.
Have fun.

More questions...

Wall outlets.. Do I need an international outlet so that I can charge phones, lights, Gopro.. Etc..? And what kind please?! That will work in Bonaire.

Did anyone get a sim card before going or anything?

You should be able to use north american style plugs.
I just use wi fi locally. Nice to get away from the phone for a week.

Hi there! We've been to Bonaire every year since 2013 and heading there again in December. I'll throw in my 2c.

You'll find a food truck here & there, but not really "kiosk/quick bites" all over the place. It's not an overly developed island - definitely some great restaurants (few suggestions in this thread, if you haven't already read it). Hopefully you're renting a truck to get around - make a stop at Van Den Tweel and/or Warehouse Bonaire for groceries (we start at Van Den Tweel for a big shopping trip, then use Warehouse Bonaire for smaller trips all week). Food prices are a little on the high side - it's an island with limited resources. Not outrageous, IMO, but it's not uncommon for us to drop $50+ on dinner for two people.

We drink tap water and eat local produce and neither of us have ever gotten sick before. In fact, I've gotten horribly sick in both Costa Rica and Mexico, but zero issues in Bonaire.

The east side of the island is more advanced diving and only a couple dive shops service that side. We've never been overly interested, there are just SO.MANY. beautiful shore dives on the west side, and when you throw in boat dives on Klein Bonaire, I just don't think there's much point - especially for a first trip and with less experienced divers.

As mentioned above, I also so highly recommend getting a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy. We take our copy everywhere and write notes in it to help us remember the best spot to park, enter, exit, etc.

Definitely bring, or purchase, bug spray and sun screen. Bring cheap stuff if you're leaving anything in the truck when you dive - we bring the bare minimum, as we've been robbed while diving. Luckily, all they walked away with were two very cheap pair of sunglasses and a rusty multi-tool. Guess they didn't want our gross flip flops, ragged baseball caps and stinky towels, lol.

The first time I went, I brought make-up & hair-spray, etc., but never have since that first time. I bring a tinted sunscreen to wear after we've cleaned up for the day and we go out, but I just can't be bothered to "get ready" to go out - our "dress up" clothes consist of nicer t-shirts and I maybe pack a sundress because it's so easy. :)

If worried about getting sick. I had a Dr buddy tell me start taking pepto chewable pills 2 days before you leave 1 every day. shouldn't have any problems. Now don't be freaked out when your bowel movement will be black.... until you quit taking them.....

My favorite dive lunch: Doner Brood at Fresh Market - directly across from Warehouse

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom