Going Out of Business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zen1300

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Question for all of you gear hounds out there.

An LDS is going out of business, they claim rock-bottom prices - "cost plus", below "key man" (not sure what that means), and better than "Instructor Pricing."

After punching in the discount code online, it gives you a discount of 22%. I guess that doesn't seem "out of business" to me.

I've emailed and called to ask for pricing on some of the products they will only sell in the store - Aqualung Legend regs - they wouldn't give me a price. They just gave me a very cheesy, almost used-car-salesman response to come on down and check it out.

In email they just responded the same way, but they were sure to indicate that the hundreds of people that have come in got great deals!

They also state that if it is not in stock, they'll order it. Why would they do that? It doesn't support the liquidation efforts, though it does bring in some cash.

There are no returns, so warranty is your only protection.

I wonder if they have a buyer for the shop or the inventory that's left over and they're looking to get rid of stuff at a higher price than what that offer is. :idk:

Interested in your thoughts on this?

Is this normal for an LDS that's going out of business? OR is it some requirement by the manufacturer for specific gear to not allow a price quote below a certain amount?

I've already decided to buy from another LDS, with just as competitive pricing.

Last edited:
Nah, just curious if "going out of business" sales are normally done like this. I've already decided to buy my regs from another LDS.

I suppose my personal situation and whether or not I feel like going through the trouble to find a sitter, pay for a sitter, etc. is extraneous information that doesn't need to be considered, since that was not my true point.

Is it normal to be so evasive on pricing? Is it a requirement of being an authorized dealer for that specific product?

Are potential shoppers competing with a Leisure Pro on pricing?

I'm just curious to understand, not to resolve some personal dilemma on where to shop.

Question for all of you gear hounds out there.

An LDS is going out of business, they claim rock-bottom prices - "cost plus", below "key man" (not sure what that means), and better than "Instructor Pricing."

After punching in the discount code online, it gives you a discount of 22%. I guess that doesn't seem "out of business" to me.

I've emailed and called to ask for pricing on some of the products they will only sell in the store - Aqualung Legend regs - they wouldn't give me a price. They just gave me a very cheesy, almost used-car-salesman response to come on down and check it out.

In email they just responded the same way, but they were sure to indicate that the hundreds of people that have come in got great deals!

I'd go in, but it isn't as simple as that logistically for me this weekend (last two days) since I'm a single parent with a 3-yo and no one to watch him and I certainly couldn't shop effectively with him. If it were worth the trip on savings, I could pay a sitter to watch him.

Right now, I could get similar deals from other shops that are not going out of business.

They also state that if it is not in stock, they'll order it. Why would they do that? It doesn't support the liquidation efforts, though it does bring in some cash.

There are no returns, so warranty is your only protection.

I wonder if they have a buyer for the shop or the inventory that's left over and they're looking to get rid of stuff at a higher price than what that offer is. :idk:

Interested in your thoughts on this?
Walk away from the sale! You can do it, be strong!

Goiong out of business does not translate into liquidating all inventory at pennies on the dollar. They still have to attempt to limit their losses. You could wait and see if they bleed out before you strike :idk:

My original post was unclear. I've updated it.

I'm just curious as to the reasoning for not providing the pricing. I'm not looking for a decision on whether to go there a buy something.

Sorry for the confusion.

Some folks are good sales people, others are not. The quality of the presentation doesn't always reflect the value you will see.

But if you can't get the answers you want, then you have to determine how much you want to go see the sale. It really is that simple.

If you can get 20% off locally, then don't bother.

You can try calling them again and say "I have to get a sitter for my kid to come in. I'm trying to determine if it is worth my time. If you can't tell me exact prices on a few items such as <item you're interested in> then I can't come in. So, do you want me there?"

If they say "No" then you have your answer. If they give you the price you still have your answer.

You can try calling them again and say "I have to get a sitter for my kid to come in. I'm trying to determine if it is worth my time. If you can't tell me exact prices on a few items such as <item you're interested in> then I can't come in. So, do you want me there?"

Already did that and that is why I decided to go elsewhere.

Below keyman is likely a fraudulent statement. Keyman varies with the supplier, but is often as low as 50% of the end line quantity price. "Instructor pricing" is an ill-defined term, it may mean keyman (for instructors that are part of the shop) of it may mean the price that a shop offers to other instructors which will be 15% or 20% over their cost and shipping.

Already did that and that is why I decided to go elsewhere.

So I guess you have your answer then. But I do stand by my previous post that even as a company is going out of business, they are not setting out to give anything away. 22% off some retail prices might not be a bad place to start negotiations. If they pushed you away then they are willing to risk further losses and your decision has been made easier. I would call them again on the last day and see if they have changed their mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom