Going Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I Dive

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I don't currently have any interest in overhead environment diving, but deep diving seriously interests me. I don't plan on getting into it immediately, but am at the point where I want to start gathering info so I can begin planning. I know this first question is the classic Ford VS Chevy battle, but I'm curious on everyone's thoughts on the best Tech training agencies. In addition, now that you are Tech divers, in hindsight what would have done differently getting into it? What sort of planning do you suggest prior to your fist tech course? Any other info you can provide will be much appreciated!

Look up hogarthian and DIR, get the DIR-F material and read it, get the videos and watch them, get shadow divers, caverns measureless to man, the last dive, and fatel depth.

forget about the agency focus on your instructor, can't stress this enough, every agency teaches about the same thing and every instructor I've came accross teaches more than one agency material no matter what your card says.

Build yoruself a set of double aluminum 80's, great starter doubles that can be used for a wide range of diving, if you progress further into cave diving etc they can be broken down and used for stages/deco.

I don't currently have any interest in overhead environment diving, but deep diving seriously interests me. I don't plan on getting into it immediately, but am at the point where I want to start gathering info so I can begin planning. I know this first question is the classic Ford VS Chevy battle, but I'm curious on everyone's thoughts on the best Tech training agencies. In addition, now that you are Tech divers, in hindsight what would have done differently getting into it? What sort of planning do you suggest prior to your fist tech course? Any other info you can provide will be much appreciated!

The first thing you need to understand is that when you "go tech" by diving deep, you are in an overhead environment.

It may not always be as tangible as the ceiling of a cave or or the hull of a shipwreck, but once you start making dives where there is mandatory decompression that is just as surely an overhead environment as any physical barrier.

It's not about the agencies, it's usually more about the instructor. I've taken advanced classes with several agencies and the material pretty much covers the same things, but it's how the instructor presents it that matters.

Take it slow, figure out what type of diving you want to do, then find an instructor that does that type of diving, not just teaches it.

Use the search feature, there were several good threads about choosing an instructor on here. That's a good place to start.

OP-- both the previous replies offer you some solid advise. In keeping with those thoughts, ask around locally and visit with several technical divers and instructors....let them know were you are at in the process and get local input. Most main stream training agencies now have a basic 101 course typically call Intro to Tech. This might be of value to you in the future. Another important thing is to keep up the diving....greatest teacher there is-experience. Have fun and take your time...good luck.

I would not have bought so much useless recreational stuff! Tank bangers, dry snorkel, cheapo reel, etc. I also would have gotten with an agency that offered quality tech classes sooner. I'd have gotten into doubles sooner and spent more time with them in the water just having fun. First OW intro to tech dive is not the place to be in drysuit, double lp 85's, and cold miserable conditions.

The first thing I would do is to find either a GUE Fundamentals class or an Intro to Tech class, and take it now. Doesn't matter if you're still in a single tank -- What you need to know is where the bar is set for tech diving, and it's very different. Whether you pass the class or not, you can go off and work on your trim, precise buoyancy control, non-silting propulsion, stability while task-loaded, and air-sharing procedures. Time spent on these things in a single tank will benefit you when you go to doubles; it is far easier to do the transition if you have buoyancy and trim solidly nailed in your original setup.

I'm not into deep wreck dives, but caves . . . but the same principles apply. I've made it a rule that I don't learn anything in a cave that I can learn outside of one, and you can do the same thing with your tech training. Learn everything you can that's applicable BEFORE you go into a full-scale tech class, and you'll be so far ahead, it will help a lot.

I don't currently have any interest in overhead environment diving, but deep diving seriously interests me.
Deeper, longer diving, involving decompresion obligations creates an 'overhead environment' as Cave Diver indicates, in that the surface is not immediately accessible (at least not safely). That point notwithstanding, I think I understand your focus. I pursued tech not because of any interest in caves but because I wanted to dive a little deeper (130-170') than recreational limits in order to see certain wrecks, and spend a little more time on those wrecks than NDLs allow.
I know this first question is the classic Ford VS Chevy battle, but I'm curious on everyone's thoughts on the best Tech training agencies.
As several have already suggested, the instructor can make a big difference, within any agency's courses. There are also differences among agencies in the sequence of teaching as well as some of the content, and you will get a variety of opinions. I happen to have done the DSAT sequence (Level 1, Deep, Trimix) which has many strengths and some shortcomings. Others have pursued IANTD, or TDI or another path. While we could recreate part / all of that discussion here, you might be equally well served by reading some of the (multiple) threads on the topic. Try a search using the words 'technical agency' and that will give you a good start, including several currently active threads on the topic.
In addition, now that you are Tech divers, in hindsight what would have done differently getting into it? What sort of planning do you suggest prior to your fist tech course?
Technical diving is very much about equipment, and procedures, and a mindset that supports appropriate use of the equipment, and adherence (rigorous and precise) to procedures. I will echo several of the points already made. Some things I would do the same, were I to start over. I started diving a drysuit early, which was a big help when I moved to tech, because I had at least some sense of DS bouyancy issues. I moved to a BP/W shortly after getting a drysuit, and adopted a long hose / necklace configuration, so that rig was well-known to me. I bought and regularly used a 40cf pony bottle on recreational dives (including some shallow reef dives in the Keys, which provided amusement for several boat crews) to get used to the effects of a slung bottle on my trim, and practiced gas switching, from backgas to pony to backgas. I later doubled up two HP120s, and dove them a number of times (quarry and ocean) before the first tech class. There are pros and cons to that particular approach (diving doubles before being formally trained to dive doubles) but at least I was not trying to learn doubles and a drysuit for the first time in the first tech class dive. As Jim suggests, that can be a bit of a bear. In hindsight, I would now do exacty what Lynne suggests, and pursue a DIR-F course. You live in a state where there are multiple DIR-F offerings, and I would encourage you to take advantage, not just to prepare for technical diving but to improve your diving skill in general. Like Jim, I would have spent less money on junk (including the very same 3 items that he mentions). I also would start with double 80s as Fixxer suggests, and not heavier HP steels. (I love my 120s, but my favorite coastal diving doubles rig is a set of older, cosmetically challenged, double 80s.) As you may sense from responses, there is not one (and only one) RIGHT way. But, there is some consistency in the experiences of others who have been down the road. Enjoy the journey.

In hindsight, I would now do exactly what Lynne suggests, and pursue a DIR-F course.

Which is what I did. Although I am tech certified through IANTD, I took GUE's DIRF first, and those skills and the mindset has carried me through all my tech training. Next weekend my buddy and I begin a wreck diving class in the St. Lawrence river, training inside wrecks down to 230'. The instructor is IANTD, my buddy is IANTD trimix instructor and I am IANTD DM. But we let our instructor know that we prefer to dive DIR protocols in regard to dive planing, gas management, bottle markings and management, standard mixes, pre-dive checks (GUE EDGE), etc. The instructor is all good with that, and he has adopted similar protocols.

So, what I'm saying is that I agree with the other posters that an intro to tech class should be your foundation to any future tech classes. I have seen divers in the water who have jumped right from recreational diving into technical diving without developing these foundational skills first, and I can attest to the fact that, if you take a fundamentals class first, your diving will be safer and a lot more fun! And there is nothing more fun than hanging on some wall or above some wreck, knowing you are deeper than most divers will go, seeing things they will not see, and having the confidence in your training and skills to really enjoy being able to explore a world very few are privileged to enter.

Welcome!!

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the info!!!!!!

In the same boat as I DIVE, and came across this thread...FANTASTIC advice from all of you guys, THANKS!
T.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom