Question Tech Instructor Perspective: teaching in USA or in Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Tourist

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got curious about something on the back of the instructor crisis thread

Given the rising US insurance costs and just the US being a more expensive country than Mexico, is there a point at which it just becomes cheaper and more enjoyable to only teach in Mexico?

Naturally that only applies to east coast tech instructors

I assume if you don’t teach in the US, then you wouldn’t have to buy US insurance to begin with? So you can get some other, presumably way cheaper, policy?

Just got curious about something on the back of the instructor crisis thread

Given the rising US insurance costs and just the US being a more expensive country than Mexico, is there a point at which it just becomes cheaper and more enjoyable to only teach in Mexico?

Naturally that only applies to east coast tech instructors

I assume if you don’t teach in the US, then you wouldn’t have to buy US insurance to begin with? So you can get some other, presumably way cheaper, policy?
If you are a US citizen and teach US citizens anywhere in the universe, they can always sue you in US courts and thus you need insurance coverage that would cover you in the US afaik.

Americans have the opposite of the "midas" touch, the "shiit" touch.

I knew that about taxes that with a U.S. passport you are faqed, didn’t know that about sueing

Define "expense".

Because getting hung from a freeway overpass seems kinda expensive to me.

If you are a US citizen and teach US citizens anywhere in the universe, they can always sue you in US courts and thus you need insurance coverage that would cover you in the US afaik.

Americans have the opposite of the "midas" touch, the "shiit" touch.
Maybe if you were conducting business in the US and then traveling to another country to do the training, but if I'm living in Mexico, doing business in Mexico and one of my American students dies, I can't see the US courts having any jurisdiction over me...

@Underwater Tourist Lots of west coast and Southwest instructors go to Mexico too.

Define "expense".

Because getting hung from a freeway overpass seems kinda expensive to me.
Well if you teach open water courses on your knees, don't you kind of deserve that?

Oh, this is for technical diving. Nevermind. :outtahere::poke::stirpot:

Maybe if you were conducting business in the US and then traveling to another country to do the training, but if I'm living in Mexico, doing business in Mexico and one of my American students dies, I can't see the US courts having any jurisdiction over me...

If the instructor is a US citizen and has, or may have in future, any assets in the US, he can and will be sued in US court. US government and courts believe that they own the universe.

If the instructor is a US citizen and has, or may have in future, any assets in the US, he can and will be sued in US court. US government and courts believe that they own the universe.
So, I'm guessing you have a source for this, right?

So, I'm guessing you have a source for this, right?
Yes, private lawyer/insurance advice.

What I said above applies to other activities as well not just diving.

Do NOT take my word for it, ask an experienced lawyer, dive agency and insurance company in the US.

Yes, private lawyer/insurance advice.

What I said above applies to other activities as well not just diving.

Do NOT take my word for it, ask an experienced lawyer, dive agency and insurance company in the US.
You keep making all these broad statements about the law, but your only source is "a lawyer once told me." Don't worry, I'm not in a hurry to follow your legal opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom