Going Tekkie....with whom???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua Buoy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey!

I am hoping to enter the world of technical diving. I am aware that safety is the main priority, but for that you need proper training!

I was wondering with whom you recommend start technical dive training with???

How does PADI Tech Rec (this one caused ripples!) compare to other agencies (e.g. IANTD)? I know there is probably no 'one best' but i'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks for the input!

Peace =-)

p.s. if this has been started somewhere else, or should be relocated, please direct me or feel free to relocate/delete this thread!

but just to boost the thread. I am in IANTD right now, moving towards GUE. We use GUE texts, and Gue standards. It is my (mostly uninformed) opinion that GUE has the most stringent training. I have a great instructor under IANTD, but I don't care for their books. I probably would not go with PADI rec/tech, either, though I am a PADI Divemaster.

If I were starting right now, I would probably go for the Dir-fundamentals course, then move on into their tech 1/tech 2, cave 1/ etc. if available in my area. GUE is the one I know the most about, having read all their books and having aquaintances who have taken their classes.

Please note: I am not critisizing TDI, NSS, or anyone else, cause I don't know much about them.

Do dive operators recognize GUE cards as universally as PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc.?

I have never even seen a GUE c-card...

Originally posted by O-ring
Do dive operators recognize GUE cards as universally as PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc.?
I know some shops that don't...

Aqua Buoy,
It all comes down to the instructor... One instructor may teach for more than one agency... the Instructor that you will train with is really 95% of the whole picture when choosing your classes. Ask him/her questions, and be honest with them about your diving past and future expectations. That being said, GUE books are very in depth, presenting sometimes more info than is needed; IANTD books suck, they read like they were written by a second grader and edited by a first grader; TDI books are very down to earth, telling you what you need to know in a very easy to comprehend manner.

Originally posted by jetblast00

I know some shops that don't...

Which shops don't? And what are their reasons for not accepting them?

I was more interested in dive operator acceptance. For example, if I go to Mexico, the Caribbean, Bahamas, wherever...are they going to know what a GUE card is and let me dive with one?

They know PADI, NAUI, and SSI....will they know and accept GUE?

Seems to me that if they don't, it would make sense to get at least a PADI/SSI/NAUI/whatever open water c-card and use that if they give you static about your GUE card...kind of like an insurance policy against an ignorant dive operator.

GUE will get you where you want to go, in fewer classes, and in less overall time and expense. Stay away from any agency/instructor that teaches, allows, uses, or otherwise advocates the use of deep air (130'+). These places don't have your best interest in mind and are likely clueless in general. In other words, run -- DON'T WALK -- away from someone who tells you it's safe to dive deep on air. They are WRONG, and science has proven it. Be very careful.
If, like Campana, you can find a TDI instructor who is more GUE than TDI (for example), then that would be a great alternative. These instructors do exist, but the trick is finding them.

Good luck,

Mike

Hey People,

Thanks for the advice, I know it is somewhat of an open-ended question, but I appreciate the much needed guidance on this topic. I am going to England soon, and hope to start some tech diving when I get there!

Will keep you up to date....and will hope to be able to give some more input on this section of scubaboard.com .

Thanks.

Peace =-)

Although I think this is a different discussion -

When did you last see a GUE OW card? I believe AG will not be teaching the first GUE OW until later this year... And at that point it will be co-taught with SSI for the same reason, to allow students not to get stranded becasue some operator have not heard of GUE.

However, I think the real question here is not about GUE OW - but rather about GUE technical training, which is the core of what they do and on that note - I believe that the operators who cater to people of Tech1/2 level training, will have the phone number to call and verify - besides - it is painlessly easy to spot a wannabe Tech1 diver if you know what you are looking for, that training is hard to just think up...

Anyway - I think I'm going to go back out diving.
Big T

Originally posted by jetblast00

Aqua Buoy,
It all comes down to the instructor...

My 0.2 cents

Jetblast post says it (almost) all, but more than being honest with your instructor you sould also ask him to be honest with you... get the picture ?

Choose one instructor that actually dives (a lot) the kind of diving you're wanting to learn. I know some PADI/DSAT, TECREC, TECTEC whatever (no offense :) ) that have less dives below 130ft then me !!!!

I've choosen TDI and what can i say is that the manuals are very friendly and classes easy to assimilate. I was also lucky (smart?) and choosed the best instructors available.

Watchout for some cowboys outhere, ask credentials if needed !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom