Going to Belize...need info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to Ambergris Caye, Belize around April/May of 2003, just between the very windy weather and the rainy season. Loved it, but what an adventure! Can't remember the name of the place we stayed, but wouldn't recommend staying anywhere north of the little creek/canal just above San Pedro, because the hand-pulled float system that gets you and your golf cart from one side to the other closes at 8 p.m. Put that together with the entire country loosing power on several occasions (not kidding) while we were there (about 3 days total), and you can't make a call to town for a boat taxi or to arrange dives, nor could you be seen from the dock at night due to no lights being illuminated on the dock. Basically you were cut-off from the rest of the world at night. I would go for somewhere in town or south of town, where there are no canals to cross. PLUS I would make sure the hotel has a back-up generator. Ours did not, so when the power went down we had no phones, no running water, and very few places to eat at night. Lots of warm beer and peanutbutter sandwiches!

Dove with Amigos Del Mar and really liked them. Nice boats, great dives, nice people.

Hope this info helps. If you'd like more details, please write back soon! You are also welcomed to email me directly (easier for me) at: aheaitley@edensandavant.com

brady:
Basically you were cut-off from the rest of the world at night. ]

It's a good thing Lewis and Clark never had your view of narrow, clear, warmwater creeks. The Northwest would still be wilderness.

Hank49:
It's a good thing Lewis and Clark never had your view of narrow, clear, warmwater creeks. The Northwest would still be wilderness.

So were we supposed to abandon our golf cart, swim across the canal, walk through some questionable parts of town, and show up at a restaurant sopping wet to eat? I don't think so. Lewis and Clark weren't trying to go out to eat or drag heavy and bulky scuba equipment several miles into town. Plus, maybe they were used to going without a shower for 3 days. Apparently you are associated with a business above the canal, but it was very inconvenient, and I would not dare send someone to the island without at least giving them a heads-up on it so they could make a more educated choice about where to stay. I loved the island and the people, but my comments were based on facts and experience. Even with all of that being said, it was still one of my favorite vacations. Get over it already.

brady:
So were we supposed to abandon our golf cart, swim across the canal, walk through some questionable parts of town, and show up at a restaurant sopping wet to eat? I don't think so. Lewis and Clark weren't trying to go out to eat or drag heavy and bulky scuba equipment several miles into town. Plus, maybe they were used to going without a shower for 3 days. Apparently you are associated with a business above the canal, but it was very inconvenient, and I would not dare send someone to the island without at least giving them a heads-up on it so they could make a more educated choice about where to stay. I loved the island and the people, but my comments were based on facts and experience. Even with all of that being said, it was still one of my favorite vacations. Get over it already.

Apparently you didn't see the smile I attached. I was just kidding. BUT, just to give some more advice to potentially stranded divers..... Take off your clothes, hold them above your head and swim across. They'll be dry for the restaurant. Inflate your BCD inside your dive bag, use it as a floatation device and give it a shove. The river's only about 40 feet across. Never mind the golf cart. It'll be there when you get back. I lived three doors down from the ferry for a year. It isn't that bad a part of town. Walk down the beach. GAz'z place is the first dive shop you'll come to...unless he moved. Sorry if I offended you. Hank

"We're thinking of going (to Glover's) in October-November. When were you there? Where did you stay?"

Our family of 5 spent a week with Glover's Atoll Resort on NE Caye in the summer of '05 and LOVED it. Very rough (shallow pit toilets, no electricity or running water), inexpensive, FABULOUS diving and snorkeling from the shore and along the walls. There's another resort, Isla Marisol, on another caye on Glover's Atoll; more expensive, don't know much more than that. A third resort keeps opening and closing (Manta?), not sure of it's current status.

Let me know if you want more information about Glover's Atoll Resort.

I am finally posting here about our family trip to southern Belize (south of Dangriga) at both Hamanasi (5 nights) and Anthony's Key Resort (3 nights). For friendliness and service and beauty, Hamanasi has Anthony's beat by a mile! Rates are very similar. The two places are next door to each other! Diving in June had big swells of 7 feet but we all enjoyed the sealife and reef. Atoll diving was attempted but the boat had to turn back because of the swells. The snorkeling was fun also at the island they take you to. No diving off shore because the reef is a ways out there! (by boat for 45 min)...the mix of land and sea adventures was great -- we went waterfall hiking and caving and jungle touring at Jaguar Preserve. Daughters went thru the Padi Certified Diver course at Hamanasi...a tough but good experience for them (ages 19 and 22). Have fun!! We'll go back someday!

hopefulist:
Anthony's Key Resort in Belize?! :06:

Sorry, I meant to say "Jaguar Reef" resort.
Anthony's Key is in Honduras...and really a nice place to go, too!

So...Hamanasi is Much better than Jaguar Reef!

cheerio, Janaki

Janaki:
I am finally posting here about our family trip to southern Belize (south of Dangriga) at both Hamanasi (5 nights) and Anthony's Key Resort (3 nights). For friendliness and service and beauty, Hamanasi has Anthony's beat by a mile! Rates are very similar. The two places are next door to each other! Diving in June had big swells of 7 feet but we all enjoyed the sealife and reef. Atoll diving was attempted but the boat had to turn back because of the swells. The snorkeling was fun also at the island they take you to. No diving off shore because the reef is a ways out there! (by boat for 45 min)...the mix of land and sea adventures was great -- we went waterfall hiking and caving and jungle touring at Jaguar Preserve. Daughters went thru the Padi Certified Diver course at Hamanasi...a tough but good experience for them (ages 19 and 22). Have fun!! We'll go back someday!
I'm awfully glad to hear the good word on Hamanasi. We found them online and took a chance, as at the time I had found no way yet to locate reliable feedback on such resorts. We are going in @3wks and are glad to hear of your experience. I only found this Scubaboard sight recently, but it is proving to be a wealthy source of info on any and all dive questions.Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom