Going to Bimini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superstar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm flying to Bimini the end of June with my 10 year old daughter. We are staying on my friends boat that is at the Big Game Fishing Club & Marina. We plan on doing some snorkeling with dolphins. We are going to visit the Bimini Biological Field Station. And with any luck, my daughter will do her jr open water dives.
There are a few thing I would like to get more info on.
We fly to South Bimini and somehow take a taxi/water taxi to North bimini. Is this taxi service a continuous operation, or is it like every hour on the hour?
How much thermal protection for my daughter to wear. Diveskin, shorty, 3-2mm, or do I bring all three?
We will have full use of the Big Game Fishing Club & Marina's resort. Is this a family resort with lots of other kids for my daughter to play with?
How much $$$ for a burger and frys?
Tipping for cab drivers, resort staff, etc?
Any thing else we need to know?
Thanks.

superstar:
We will have full use of the Big Game Fishing Club & Marina's resort. Is this a family resort with lots of other kids for my daughter to play with?
Bimini can be like a deserted Island one weekend then packed the next. If there is a fishing tournament going on it will be much more crowded. It gets alot of weekend boaters from Florida.
superstar:
We fly to South Bimini and somehow take a taxi/water taxi to North bimini. Is this taxi service a continuous operation, or is it like every hour on the hour?
I have never been to South Bimini, North Bimini is where the action is at, so I can't answer this one for sure. Typical Bahamas SOP would be that they just use the VHF radio to call a local when you are ready or send you looking for a local down at the dock. It is very informal. You will have to go by boat from N to S Bimini.
superstar:
How much thermal protection for my daughter to wear. Diveskin, shorty, 3-2mm, or do I bring all three?
Shorty or 3mm full. Depending on where you are at... the Bahamas can even be a little cooler than the waters of SE Florida. We would almost always go in May (before hurricane season) on large sailboats. In May the water can still be chilly.

The water taxi runs regually, day or night. You will need to take a taxi ride from the airport to the water taxi and usually the price will be included for both taxi rides. South Bimini has the other dive shop as well as many other attractions. The fountain of youth would be a good one to check out. A good snorkeling site would be the Bimini Road just off the north side of North Bimini. I worked on Blackbeards and was at the island every week and I never once got a burger and fry there. I did get pizza at the End of the World bar, probably not a good place for a 10 year old. A 3mm suit will be more than adiquate, the water should be prety warm. Here are the links to both dive opperations in Bimini for you to get more info.

http://scubabimini.com/

http://www.biminiundersea.com/

I have nevver had a problem with the water on Bimini. But if it makes you feel better bottled water is an option

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom