Going to Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snturner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in Curacao from June 3rd to the 10th with my son. We are staying at AllWest. It's his high school graduation present. Anyone going to be there? If so shoot me an email and maybe we can meet for diving, drinks or just some conversation on the beach. I can not wait to go. I have been there before on a cruise and the diving was great.

snturner:
I will be in Curacao from June 3rd to the 10th with my son. We are staying at AllWest. It's his high school graduation present. Anyone going to be there? If so shoot me an email and maybe we can meet for diving, drinks or just some conversation on the beach. I can not wait to go. I have been there before on a cruise and the diving was great.

I am going but will be there after you leave... can you advise me where to dive, what dive op is good? I am also going on a cruise (Curacao, Aruba, St.Thomas, St. Maartin) any help with diving those locations is greatly appreciated. I am needing to set up my trips. Thanks!
Lucky

There is a nice dive spot at the aquarium. Real easy entry and exit. There is a shallow area and a deep wall dive in the same area.

http://www.habitatcuracao.com/ I have not stayed there but I have been there and checked it out. Lots of people on this WEB page seem to like it.

I have heard good things about Allwest apartments http://www.allwestcuracao.com, but again have not stayed there yet. It is away from town and kind of secluded. The shore diving is great just off the beach at Allwest. This dive site is called Westpunt.

Not sure about any of the dive operators. I don't remember the name of the place I used last time.

snturner:
We are thinking of going to Curacao maybe in July or beginning of August. We like to dive and have been to Bonaire. Getting there was hell though. Bonaire diving was fabulous. We like to go out to dinner in the evenings and now that our son is 18 are there any fun places to go with him. Any fun places for an 18 yr old to hang out safely? What hotel would you recommend. Any with good diving nearby, good beach, and within walking distance or short drive to downtown?

Heading to Curacao in September for Coral Spawning and other events... I won't be there when you are but can you please do a trip report on Curacao when you returrn. Have a Blast.

I just got back from Curacao last Thursday. It was a very interesting trip. My son and I stayed at All West apartments. The folks at All West where very nice and the location was very good. Except for the fact that is takes 30 minutes to get to Willemstad. If you want a place that is away from town and close shore diving. This is a great place. The apartment had a refrigerator, stove, sink and cooking ware. No TV or maid service. There is a bared and locked deck, which they give you the key for. This was nice because we could lay our dive gear outside to dry and it was secure. They also give you a key to get to dive tanks so you can go diving when ever you want. Curacao was not crowded at all this time of year. There where several times when my son and I went to a beach and no one else was there. The diving was great. We dove mostly at the All West locations. The Watamula location was by far the best dive. On all the dives we seen lots of fish, eels, turtles, and even a few eagle ray. When we arrived we where warned about crime. We had a rental car. It was recommended that we leave nothing in the car, do not lock the doors and put the security bar on the steering wheel every time we left the car. For the most part people in Curacao where not all that friendly. Except of course in the resort areas. The Marriott was the best place so we ate there most of the time. We actually made some friends with the locals at the Marriott. A lot of places where closed or hard to find. we had a map but most of the streets at not marked or it is very hard to find the street signs.It was hard to find a clean place to eat. We found it best to hang out and eat at the resorts. My son and I got the impression that Americans where not liked very well in Curacao. It seemed that once someone found out that we where from the US, we got the cold shoulder. I think it was because of the relaxed atmosphere, but it was hard to get service. When we did order a drink the server would disappear and not come back for about 15 to 20 minutes. After our food order was taken, it would take 30 minutes to get our food. Then we would have to ask for the bill. That's if we would get the attention of the server. Getting the bill was the same thing. It was always like this no matter where we went. It took about 2 hours to eat each time. This is not actually a bad thing when you are on vacation.

I do believe a few times when I stopped to fill up on gas. I did not get the correct change back. I would recommend using local money for this. The gas stations do not accept credit cards.

We actually got yelled at a few times. One gentlemen even tried to cuss us out in English because we wouldn't give him any money. He was asking for handouts. It was very common to see people smoking dope. We had another incident in the Chinese fast food place. A gentlemen kept yelling at my son and I, asking us to go outside. His friends made him sit down at the only table in the place and shut up. I bought him a bottle of White Label before we left. He had an empty bottle on the table, so I figured he would like another bottle. I was wrong. He took the bottle from me and throw it across the table. The guy on the other side caught it before it fell off. I believe his friends got pretty upset when he did not say "thank you". I gave him the thumbs up, turned and walked out.

I was also surprised how much trash was laying around. While we where diving we found lots of trash that had been thrown out by the boats. Tires and just piles of junk. I probably seen 15 car or boat engines in the water. Some of them where being used as buoy anchors.

The speed limit is nonexistent. I seen a few places it was posted but everyone ignores it.

We stopped at the California supermarket a few times for groceries. Not a nice place and dirty.

If I were to go back I would stay at the Marriott. It is clean and centrally located. Nice little beach and good places to eat.

Places that I thought where nice and clean where the Sea Breeze resort, Habitat Curacao, Lions Dive and Beach resort and Marriott. Keep in mind I didn't go to all the resorts

Most of the beaches where small but very nice. The beaches are topless. Which can be very nice depending on who you are. Diving from shore is no problem and very nice. I was not impressed with the mushroom forest dive. I would recommend Curacao for diving but not hospitality. Again a nice group of people where at the Marriott. I had a good time and would go back but it was definitely a learning experience.

We met a man at the Marriott from Canada. He agreed that the locals didn't seem to like Americans and Canadians. We also met a man from Holland on the dive boat. He was very nice and we talked about our country's for quit awhile. My son and I sat down at a group table to eat after a dive. It appeared that everyone at the table was Dutch or German. My son was asked where he was from. He replied " We are from the U.S., Missouri". The mans reply to that was "Sorry, it's not your fault". Then they all laughed and had a nice conversation in their native language. Oh well, we just left.

So that's it. The diving is great.

The Sea Aquarium charges $54 US dollars per diver to dive at their reef. It is a nice dive but is not worth the $54. There are tons of places to dive just as nice that are free. The $54 does include swimming with the caged fish and turtles they have. They have made the turtle and fish pens smaller since the last time I was there. I think it is cruel but that's just my 2 cents.

Thank you for you detailed report. Some of it does worry me a little for this is where I am getting married. I am staying at the Breezes hotel and will be there with tons of family and friends. I hope that no one is dissapointed in thier stay. We are all from the US and it frustrates me to see that we are treated that way by others. I am definitely excited about the diving. I do hope that for the money I have paid for this wedding/honeymoon/vacation is well worth it and that us U.S. kids are treated with great hospitatlity as anyone else would be. It excites me to read that you saw eagle rays, I have yet to ever seen any on all my dives! Thank you for sharing your Curacao experience. Did you take any pictures???

Pardon my misread on the dates you were there... I was off on my days!

My son and I went to Breezes Hotel. We didn't get a room but the large bar and beach area where nice. When we arrived there, it was about 6:50 pm. The sun gos down about 7:30 local time in Curacao. My son and I were walking along the beach when he noticed two girls remove their tops and jump in the water. :11: He decided to pull up a beach chair so he could take a picture when they got out. He never got the chance but he did get a very good shoot of the sunset. Post card perfect. I will have to see if I can scan in some of my pictures and share them with everyone.

I think you will have a good time. I would just say be wise about where you travel in town and what time you are out at night. Travel in groups and you will have a great time.

I did have a funny experience at Burger King. They wouldn't accept my money. I had several twenty dollar bills. Some new and some old. I guess they had never seen a new twenty. They said it was fake, so we took our money someplace else.

Congratulations on the marriage.

Don't worry about your trip it will be fine.

Marissa,

My wife and I (and another couple) went to Curacao over spring break and had a great time. We stayed at Lion's Dive and used Ocean Encounters for the dive operator.

I would highly recommend Ocean Encounters. We had a wonderful time with them. Every morning while divers at Lion's Dive are getting there gear organized, they take the boat over to Breezes and pick up divers there and bring them back to Lion's Dive where the two groups join up and head out. It's only a 5 minute boat ride between the two resorts.

While we enjoyed Lion's Dive, we would go with Breezes next time. Lion's Dive was a great location as is Breezes, but Breezes is much more upscale. And of course all inclusive. It should be a WONDERFUL place to have your wedding. You could never leave Breezes except for diving and have a great time. And if you want to venture out from Breezes for different food, there are several places along the beach from Lion's Dive to Breezes. We ate on the beach almost every night.

I do agree with the other guy (Sorry forgot his screen name) that meals can be almost painful. I believe that service is really European as most of the tourists there are European. And like he said, it's not necessarily a bad thing unless you're a type A like me. Towards the end of our week, we simply told the wait staff that we wanted to order everything up front...Drinks, appetizer, entre', dessert....and check. They seemed surprised by this but they did comply.

As for the people...we didn't have any ugly encounters with the locals. But it could be that we were surrounded by resorts. We did leave the resort areas to go to a supermarket and the locals weren't rude, but they weren't friendly either.

I concur about the roads and lack of road signs. What a nightmare. You kind of have to "Smell" your way to your destination.

Hope this helps,

Beck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom