Going to PNG in 3 Weeks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
The diving in PNG would compensate for the worst boat in the world...its that good.

I thought you were leaving for Palau today. If you took all those flags and wore those spiffy clothes you had on from your last picture maybe you'd get first class seats......or make they would make you sit in the very back :>)
Talking about worst boats....Once when my wife and I went to Cozumel, we contracted our diving with Del-Mar aquatics because they had new fast boats. When we arrived and checked in at the dive shop, we were told that someone had been jealous of their boats so they had put sugar in the fuel. Subsiquently we had some old wooden bananna boat to dive off that topped out at 8knots, with no covering for that nice hot Mexican sun. Two dives aday took until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, one dive before lunch, then lunch, then a dive after. It took all morning to get to the first dive site, what a joke. Still, you're right, the diving would still be worth it.

caymaniac:
I thought you were leaving for Palau today. If you took all those flags and wore those spiffy clothes you had on from your last picture maybe you'd get first class seats......or make they would make you sit in the very back :>)
Talking about worst boats....Once when my wife and I went to Cozumel, we contracted our diving with Del-Mar aquatics because they had new fast boats. When we arrived and checked in at the dive shop, we were told that someone had been jealous of their boats so they had put sugar in the fuel. Subsiquently we had some old wooden bananna boat to dive off that topped out at 8knots, with no covering for that nice hot Mexican sun. Two dives aday took until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, one dive before lunch, then lunch, then a dive after. It took all morning to get to the first dive site, what a joke. Still, you're right, the diving would still be worth it.

Never thought of that do you think if I had a couple of guys ether side of me holding the flags, one behind with a boom box playing pomp and circumstance I would get first class :D
You are right if the diving is good you can put up with a lot.

Witch toe's are yours LOL

Hi cdiver2, Thanks for the positive input. We are getting very excited for our trip. Hard to concentrate at work. Just bought (2) 1GB memory cards for our digital camera that should add up to 1250 pictures. Plan on bringing home lots of memories!

Caymaniac, We dove with Del Mar about 8 years ago. 24 divers on one boat. 12 go off starboard side with one dive master and the other 12 off port side 5 minutes later with another dive master. Right then we decided to not go for the packaged cheap trips. No more cattle boat diving for us. We only go for the 6 pack fast boats now. Had one trip to Coz where we dove with Eagle Ray Divers. Great folks but the boat was just about an exact replica of the African Queen. Nice and roomy but not too speedy.

Hey anyone - what's the best cabin to get on the Star Dancer? ie... least amount of movement, not effected by engine or other types of noise... etc... etc....

I know, I know, all cabins are good. You're in PNG for crying out loud!

Thanks,

CN

Comfortably Numb:
Hi cdiver2, Thanks for the positive input. We are getting very excited for our trip. Hard to concentrate at work. Just bought (2) 1GB memory cards for our digital camera that should add up to 1250 pictures. Plan on bringing home lots of memories!

Caymaniac, We dove with Del Mar about 8 years ago. 24 divers on one boat. 12 go off starboard side with one dive master and the other 12 off port side 5 minutes later with another dive master. Right then we decided to not go for the packaged cheap trips. No more cattle boat diving for us. We only go for the 6 pack fast boats now. Had one trip to Coz where we dove with Eagle Ray Divers. Great folks but the boat was just about an exact replica of the African Queen. Nice and roomy but not too speedy.

Hey anyone - what's the best cabin to get on the Star Dancer? ie... least amount of movement, not effected by engine or other types of noise... etc... etc....

Thanks,

CN

Hope you enjoy it, because I know you will. I did not do a liveaboard but stayed at Walindi Plantation on New Briton. If you look at my profile you will see I have dived in a few locations, but when I arrived at Walindi 24 hours late and a little annoyed that all disappeared after my first giant stride. When I surfaced from the giant stride I spit out the reg and shouted yes yes I have died and gone to heaven...its that good.
Have a great time I'm jealous I want to go back

Comfortably Numb:

Thanks,

CN

The best cabin was 2B, front suite on the portside. I was very happy with the room. Across the hallway was 2A, where a couple on their honeymoon was staying. If you want to go up to the bow to see dolphins gliding in the bow wave there is a door that takes you past the picture window of 2A. Not that there was anything to see but people that went out to the bow as well as some of the crew went infront of their window at times. 2B was much more private....just my thoughts. We had 12 divers total so it wasn't booked out on our trip. Typically all the rooms were decent. I've heard the owners suite is quite noisy. Now , in a way, if you think about it, you are not in your room all that much. The air temps were 90 and up and so a couple of days it was nice to retreat to the cool. So, you slept in there, changed your clothes in there and read books a little, and snuggled alittle :>), the rest of the time you lucky SOB you're diving in PNG and no less in Kimbe Bay area where there is the largest diversity of marine life in the WORLD. Oh, and we did eat too, 5 dives will make you hungry.
On one dive, do me a favor and see how many species of things you can count without becoming flustered. Several times I went down with the intent that I could remember at least 10 to 15 different kinds of fish, I'd get to maybe 10 and then see 3 or 4 that I've never seen before and forget what I intially saw and so I'd start over and then I'd see a couple of nudibrachs and have to start over........oh the joy. Captain Kirk please beam me back to PNG!
I hope you really enjoy it, I'm already looking forward to hearing your stories.

You might just be going by the Witu Islands. Anywhere you go, the locals will find YOU. They will paddle their outriggers many miles, even into very open water, to trade food items with any passing liveaboard. All the boats keep items like soap, rice, sugar to trade for fruits and veggies. Unfortunately, it is hard to get seafood on the boats. The locals consider fish to be "poor people's food" and you will see a lot of beef, pork, and chicken. These foods are expensive there and fit for rich divers. Many times I've tried to explain that many divers like seafood. Oh, well.......

Well, the best cabins are the two forward cabins. They are the farthest from the screws, but near the anchor chain stowage. noisy either way. The aft cabins are less "jumpy" in rough weather. I was in a forward cabin and loved it (they also have bathtubs instead of just a private shower). The SD has huge picture windows and the forward cabins have the window at the foot of the bed. A great view!! The other cabins have the windows to the side of the beds.
OH!! By the way, take many bathing suits! Have at least one for each dive you will make in a day (5?). You can hang them on the rail and they will be dry by the next day. You will want to change as soon as you off-gear. You do not want to sit on the chairs in a wet suit. If you are female, bring a "lap-lap" (sarong) to wear around your waist. The locals are very modest and DO NOT like seeing women's legs from knee to waist. Shorts above the knee are not appropriate for wearing off the boat. Be warned. I wore a lap-lap as soon as I got out of my wetsuit.

zf2nt:
Congratulations! I have been agonizing over a choice of a liveaboard trip in PNG for next summer, so would be very interested in hearing why you chose Star Dancer. I am looking at taking a 10-12 day trip next June/July and keep going back and forth between Star Dancer, Paradise Sport, and Golden Dawn. Star Dancer seems to have the biggest following on this board, though I see a smaller number of peope who are equally devoted to Golden Dawn. There hasn't been much mention of Paradise Sport (Mike Ball), but I'm not sure that means a lot. The three of them are priced very similarly, though it's truly hard to tell with all the various add-ons some of them have (e.g. GST, VAT, fuel surcharge, port fee, chamber support fee). My three choices are Star Dancer, from Walindi to Rabaul (June 18-28); Paradise Sport, from Kimbe to Kavieng (June 23 - July 3); and Golden Dawn from Kavieng to Manus (June 23 - July 5).

Can you shed any light on why you chose Star Dancer, or perhaps help me make a choice among these 3 options?

Bruce
I was on the Golden Dawn in Milne Bay with Bob Halstead four years ago and on the Star Dancer on the Rabul to Walindi route two years ago. The Star Dancer is unquestionably a more opulent vessel and the diving in the area is nice. My impression is that even with Craig Dewitt, the owner operator, in command of the GD, it's likely to be more of a serious diver's excursion. Wherever you go in PNG, Craig's been diving there for a long time and retains an interest in exploration. Of course, with a longer itinerary the GD winds up being a lot more than the Dancer. Either way you can't go wrong. Have a blast. Travis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom